The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Gelatin capsule filled with medicine to produce a "unit dose"
Soft gelatin capsules are usually filled with
Hard gelatin caps are usually filled with
powders, but could be NON AQUEOUS LIQUIDS!!!
Advantages of hard gelatin
- Great versatility
- Protect/mask ingredients within
- patient acceptance
- Enteric coating
Disadvantages of hard gel cap
- Moisture can alter capsule or drug
- Succeptible to tampering
- possible esophageal adhesion
Steps for making capsules
- 1. fll with empty capsules
- 2. orient capsules
- 3. powder filling
- 4. close cap
- 5. done
Gelatin is made mainly from collagen which comes from these 3 animals
Cows, pigs, and fish
3 important thigns about gelatins
- non toxic
- dissolve in bodily fluids and body temp
- forms a good film
Water content in gelatin is about
Colorants/opacifiers are used to help ____ the capsule and help ____ the drug.
Examples of colorants and opacifiers
- Colorant: iron oxide
- Opacifier: titanium dioxide
Fill weight of capsules is based on
Capsule fill weight= tapped bulk _____ X Capsule _____
T/F the larger the capsule the higher the number
Diluents act as ____ to make up required bulk
Glidants reduce interparticulate friction by filling spaces and improve particle ___.
- (Talc, silicone dioxide)
Lubricants reduce particle to metal _____.
- (magnesium stearate, dimethicone)
Disintegrants ... obvious but they promote____
- (pregelatiinized starch, starch glycolate)
T/F Hydrophobic diluents can significant increase drug dispersion and dissolution rate of poorly soluble/ hydrophobic drugs.
False, hydrophillic diluents
Factors impacting dissolution from capsules
- Packing density
- Particle size
Examples of locking/sealing are
- spot welding
Advantages of soft gel
- Good alternative for liquid drugs
- high precision per fill
- improve bioavailabilty
- improve elegance
- relatively tamperproof
disadvantages of soft gel
- drug migration to shell
- limited to liquid
- limited number of firms? NOT NO MORE!!!
Capsules appear hard due to
Composition of soft gel
- Plasticizer (obtain softness and flexibility)
Contents of soft gel
- Water imicible liquids (veg. oil)
- Water miscible liquids (low MW PEGs, glycerin, propylene glycol)