life refers to all aspects of living -- everything that has significance in a life; course refers to the flow or unfolding of an indicidual's life
life referes to all aspects of living -- everything that has significance in a life; course refers to the flow or unfolding of an individual's life
Included in Life Cycle
1. series of eras (bio,psycho, social)
2. transitions: each new era begins as an old era is approaching its end; that "inbetween" time is a transition
underlying pattern or desig nof a person's life at a given time.- primary components
- relationships (1 or 2)
- central component
during sturcture-building periods, individuals face that task of building a stable structure around choices they have made. - based on our choices
- stability 5-7 years
process of reappraising the exxisting life sturcture and exploring the possibilities for new life sturctures characterized the structure-changing period.
- reappraisal of structure
- 5 years - actual change takes place after new structure - growth
increase confidence, and decrease stress
special/separate personality - refers to our becoming more individual; we develop a separate and special personality, derived less and less from our parents and teaches and more from our own behavior.
- defined by separation
- threatened by intimacy
- defined by attachment
- intimacy goes with identity
* Period of growth and decline (co-existence)
period of ages 17-33 that includes early adult transition, according to Levinson.
1. Dream: "Most men construct a vision, an imagined possibility that generates vitality"
2. Mentor relationships: each man should find someone who is older, more experienced, and willing to make suggestions at each of the choice points in his early adult life.
3. An occupational decision: a man should begin to build on his strengths and to choose a vocation that values those strengths.
4. Love relationships: Each man should make decisions on a marriage partner, number of children desired, and the type of relationship that he wants to have with his wife and children. - transition to parenthood is a risk to couples
2 events that have damaged male devleopment
- Industrial revolution: no mentorship between father and son due to more factory work
- No fault Divorce: makes divorce eaiser, wife gets the child mostly
***(impotant in Novice Phase)***
Mentoring: the act of assisting another, usually younger, person with his or her work or life tasks.