chapter 5, section 1
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a set of basic principles and laws that states the powers and duties of the government
the new national constitution, which made a new Confederation Congress the national government
Articles of Confederation
official approval of the Articles of Confederation by the states
a law that set up a system for surveying land and dividing the Northwest Territory
Land Ordinance of 1785
a law that established the Northwest Territory and formed a political system for that region
Give 2 characteristics for Republicanism.
-people elect the members of gov't to lead them and represent their interests and needs
-power and authority comes from the people being governed
Give 4 characteristics of Free Enterprise.
- -government doesnt control the economy
- -government regualtes trade and protects people
- -businesses choose what to produce
- -individuals decide what to buy from whom to buy
Why were state constitutions important?(3)
- -all leaders were subject to laws to limit the power of government to protect rights of citizens
- -some states banned slavery and protected rights of people accused of crimes
- -defined who could/white men who paid taxes
who came up with the virginia statue for religous freedom?
what rights were protected by jefferson's Virginia Statue for Religious Freedom?
- -no forced church attendance
- -no requirement to pay for churches with tax money
what was the governing document of the US from 1777-1789?
Articles of Confederation
What challenges faced the states in getting them all to ratify the Articles of Confederation?(3)
- -Western Lands
- -How to make decisions in the new government
- -All 13 states saw themselves as independent and didin't want to be controlled by a strong national government
Under the Articles...what powers did congress posess?(6)
- -settle conflicts among states
- -ask states for money and soldiers
- -make coins
- -make treaties with other countries and native americans
- -wage war and make peace
- -make national laws
a loose alliance or league of independent states
what things did Congress not possess?
- -did not have a president
- -did not have a court system
- -had no power on tax
- -no army
what powers did the states possess?
- -could impose taxes
- -had choice to enforce national laws or not
- -could regualte trade
- -could issue paper money
Which level of government (congress or states) was stronger and why?
the states were more powerful than the national government to avoid a strong national government like King/Parliament
Who came up with the idea of the Land Ordinance of 1785?
Why was the Land Ordinance of 1785 important?(3)
- -was able to raise money to pay debts by selling western lands
- -surveyed lands in NW Territory
- -divided the land into townships
What things did the Northwest Ordinance do?(6)
- -set guidelines for new states
- -banned slavery
- -rivers in NW Territory were open for use and trade by all people
- -guranteed trials by jury
- -protected civil liberties
- -required public education
What was the importance of the 2 ordinances?(3)
- -allowed organized growth for US in west
- -source of $$ for national government under Articles
- -gave americans more control over land in the west
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview