Chapter 5, Section 3
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a leading convention delegate from Virginia
the idea that political power belongs to the people
the sharing of power between a central government and the states
What were the goals of the Constitutional Convention?(2)
- -to improve the Aritcles of Confederation
- -to reform and strengthen the national government
Who attended the Constitutional Convention?
-55 representatives from 12 states that were all well educated and had political experience
What were the 2 plans for the new national government?
- -Virginia Plan
- -New Jersey Plan
Who proposed the Virginia Plan?
Ideas of the Virgina Plan.(4)
- -legislative branch had 2 houses
- -representaion/voting in legislative was based on population
- -gave supreme power to national government
- - had 3 branches of government:
- -legislative(make laws)
- -executive(enforces laws)
- -judicial(interprets laws)
Who proposed the New Jersey Plan?
Ideas of the New Jersey Plan.(4)
- -strengthened national government
- -had 3 branches of government
- -legislative branch had 1 house
- -representation/voting- all states were equal
Who proposed the Great Compromise or the Connecticut Compromise?
Ideas of the Great Compromise.
- -had bicameral legislature called Congress:
- 1.senate- upper house, each state is equal
- 2.House of Rep-lower house, representation/voting determined by population
- -laws must pass BOTH houses to pass
Ideas of the 3/5s Compromise.(2)
- -3/5 of Slave Population was counted as people to determine representation
- -3/5 of Slave Population was counted as property for taxation
Ideas of the Commerce Compromise.
- -Congress could impose tarriffs on imports, but not exports
- -importation of slaves from Africa would be outlawed at end of 1807
What day is Constitution Day?
September 17th, 1787
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview