Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What phylum has segmentation as one of it's main characteristics?
Why is segmentation an advantageous characteristic?
- - Allows mobility and locomotion
- - High degree of specialization among body tissue
What are two classes in the phylum Echinodermata AND give an example of each class?
- - Asteroida- Sea Star
- - Holothuroida- Sea Cucumber
What are two classes in the phylum Anthropoda AND give an example of each class?
- -Arachnida- Spider
- -Insecta- Butterfly
What are two main differences between bony fish and cartilaginious fish? (Provide scientific name for these classes and receive extra credit)
- -Bony fish have a blatter which allows bouyancy
- -Bony fish= flat scales and cartilaginious, have tooth like scales
Describe the life cyle of amphibians. In your description, describe at least three changes that occur in the physiology of the organisms.
- Tad Pole- 2 chamber heart
- - aquatic herbivore
- Tetrapod- 3 chamber heart
- - Carnivorous
- - External eardrum
Describe the three orders of reptiles AND give an example of each
- 1. Chelonia- Turtle
- 2. Crocodilia- Crocidile
- 3. Squamata - lizards
What is the main evolutionary advancement that is associated with reptiles?
Amniotic eggs allow reptiles to give birth on land
What is the main evolutionary advancement that is associated with amphibians?
Metamorphosis allows organisms to transition to a more competitive adult. Aquatic -> Terrestrial
What is the main evolutionary advancement that is assiciated with Echionodermata?
- -water vascular system
- -functions for feeding, locomotion, and gas exchange
- -mouth on underside
What is the main evolutionary advancement that is associated with Porifera?
specialized cells with specialized jobs
What is the main evolutionary advancement that is associated with Cnideria?
- Defense mechanism= higher survival rate
- -stinging cells
- -one opening for mouth and anus
What is the main evolutionary advancement that is associated with Annelida?
- -coelum locomotion- body storage for development of complex organs
- -segmentation- high degree of specialization of body organs
What are four features that all vertebrate animals have in common?
- 1. Notochord- back bone
- 2. Dorsal Hollow Nerve cord- spinal cord, nervous system
- 3. Pharyngeal Pouches- lungs
- 4. Muscular Post and Tail
Describe the structure and function of bird feathers?
- - Constructed of keratin
- - oil glands keep feather clean
- - feathers maintain body temperature
Describe at least four adaptations that are found in birds?
- 1. Bill
- 2. Gizzards
- 3. Sight
- 4. All organs adapted for flight
- Pulmonary Artery
- Left Atrium
- Left Ventricle
- Right Ventricle
- Right Atrium
- -rectus abdominus
- -gluteus maximus
- -biceps femoris
- -pectoralis major
- -latissmus dorsi
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview