The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Applications of cytometry
- Visualization of samples on a single cell level
- Can find a rare cell type among a sample comprised mostly of non-relevant events
- Sorting of distinct populations within a heterogenous sample
- Widely used in immunology
How does it work?
- Sample of cells labeled with antibodies conjugated to fluorochromes
- Cell suspension is forced into a tiny stream of liquid, so that only one cell enters the machine at a time
- Each cell, and any antibodies that are bound to it, intercept the laser beam and are excited to a higher energy state
- The energy is released as a photon of light
- Attached computer interprets the data and presents a visual display