The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the fat soluable vitamins
- Vitamin A, D, E, K
- They are stored in the body and higer risk for toxicity.
What are the water soluable vitamins
- Vitamin B and C
- They are excreted from the body and need daily.
What are the five demensions of vitamins
Viatamin A is also called
What does vitamin A do
- Helps eyesight
- Promote the growth of healthy skin, hair, bones and teeth.
- Helps cell reproduction
- Aids to strenghten the immune and reproductive system.
- Converts beta carotene into vitamin A.
Vitamin deficiency of vitamin A
- Night blindness
- Dry skin
- Poor bone and teeth growth
- Poor development
- Increase infections
Toxicity symptoms of Vitamin A
- Nausea and vomitting
- Dry sky
- Joint pain
Vitamin B1 is also called
What does vitamin B1 do
- Help convert carbohydrates into energy. (Coenzyme in energy metabolism)
- Helps keep the normal function of the nervous system, muscles , heart, and digestion.
Toxicity and symptoms of vitamine B1
Vitamin deficiency of vitamin B1
- Less concentration
- Loss of appetite
Vitamin B2 is also called
What does Vitamin B2 do
- Helps cells utilize O2
- Assist the growth of healthy skin, nails, and hair.
- Prevents sores and swelling of the mouth and lips.
- Aids in reproduction and cell regeneration.
- Aids in the releaseing of energy from cardohydrates.
Vitamin deficiency of B2
Itching and irritaion of lips, eyes, skin and mucus membranes.
Toxicity of Vitamin B2
Vitamin B3 is also called
What does B3 do
- Helps release energy from carbohydrates by metabolism of every body cell
- Aids in the functioning of the digestive nervous system
Vitamin deficiency of vitamin B3
Pellagra-3D's Diarrhea, Dermititis, Dementia
- Depression, headaches, indigestion,
- Loss of appitite, low blood sugar, muscle weakness
- Dizziness, fatigue, halitosis, insomina, and inflamation
Toxicity of vitamin B3
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea and flushing.
- Severe; Liver damage, irregular heartbeat, rash, gouty arthritis
What is another name forVitamin B9
Folate/ Folic acid
What do vitamin B9 do
- Helps produce and maintain red blood cells and the nervous system.
- Essential for mental and emotional health because it helps maintain normal brain functions.
Deficiency of vitamin B9
- diarrhea, loss of appitite, weight loss sore tongue, headaches, heart palpitation, forgetfulness, behavior disorders
- Spina bifida
Toxicity of Vitamin B9
Non toxic but can mask the presence of pernicious anemia
What does vitamin B12 do
It is needed for nerve cells and red blood cells, and to make DNA
Vitamin B12 deficiency
Demyelination and irreversible nerve cell death. Symptoms numbness, tingling of the extremities and and ataxic gait.
Toxicity of vitamin B12
Another name for vitamin C is
What do Vitamin C do
- Important in the production of collagen in the body
- Help connective tissues and organs.
- Can act as an antioxidant to help protect the body from free radical.
Vitamin deficiency of vitamin C
Scurvy, which causes bleeding and inflammed gums, loose teeth, and poor wound healing.
Toxicitiy of vitamin C
Non toxic but high doses 5000mg and up can cause bloating and diarrhea
What does vitamin D do
- helps promote the absorption of calcium and phosphorous levels in the body.
- Helps maintain and form strong and healthy bones.
Deficiency of vitamin C
Rickets and osteomalacia.
Toxicity of vitamin D
- Nausea and vomiting
- Headaches, diarrhea, fatigue, constipation, loss of appitite, excessive thirst and urinaion, protien in the uine and liver and kidney damage
Vitamin E is what
an antioxidant that protects your cells against the effects of free radicals, which are potentially damaging by product of energy metabolism.
Deficiency of vitamin E
- Intestinal disorders, cyctic fibrosis, pancreatitis and cholestasis.
- Prevent the absorption of dietary fats and fatsoluable nutrients.
Toxicity of vitamin E
Non toxic but stomach upset, dizziness and diarrhea may occur
What does vitamin K do
Helps to control blood clotting in the body and is essential for synthesizing the liver protien that controls clotting
Vitamin K deficiency
- Internal Hemmorrhaging
Toxicity in vitamin k
Non toxic but causes jaundice in premature infants.
Vitamin C & E work together to do what
prevent heart disease
What is Beriberi
A chronic defeciency of vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
What is wet Beriberi
Thiamine deficiency with edema affecting cardiac function by weakening the heart muscle and vascular system
is a thiamine deficiency affecting the nervous system, producing paralysis and extreme muscle wasting.
What is Wernike-Korsakoff syndrome
cerebral form of beriberi that effect the central nervous system