The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What receives, processes and sends info thru the body quickly?
Invertebrate/ Vertebrate Nervous System
- All animals except sponges have nervous syst.
- Nerve net (jellyfish)- ladder-like w/ ganglion
- Flat worm/earthworm- simple brain w/ nerve cord
- Crab/squid- well defined brain, sense organs
Nervous syst. most complex in vertebrates, highly centralized
- Cephalization- sensory cells concentrated in head
- Humans well-developed nervous syst
- 2 major subdivisions
- -CNS: brain & spinal cord
- -PNS: all nervous tissue outside CNS
Nervous tissue: 2 main cell types
- 1. Nerons: functional unit of nervous syst
- -dendrites: receive stimuli
- -Cell body w/ nucleus: processes
- -Axon (nerve fiber): conducts up to 3'.