Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what are some strategy for DOT treatment?
- political commitment with increasing in finance
- case detection through quality microscopy
- standard treatment
- affective drug supply
- monitoring system
what are some characteristics of Mtb?
- survives and replicates within macrophages
- persist in lungs for decades
- has developed to manipulate infected cell in many ways
what are some signs associated with pulmonary TB?
- slowe onset
- weight loss
- lung tissue dirstuction
what are some signs associated with Diseminated TB?
- rare pediatric disease
- can result in meningitis
what are some characteristics associated with M.leprae?
- member of Mtb
- can't be cultured in vitro
- armadilo is only host beside human
- cause of chronic cellular disease
what is the route associated with Hansen diseas/leprosey?
initial bacteria replication in macrophage and later spread to peripheral nerves and subsequent sensory impairment.
what are some epidemiological factors associated with M.leprea?
- endemic in india,brazil,nepal and myanmar
- 700000 new cases in 2002
- spread by person to person
- strong genetic component
what are some diagnostic ways for M.leprae?
- Acid fast seen in lesions
- leproumin test which only detects tuberculoid leprosey
- PCR on tissue sample
what are some treatments suggested for M.lepreae?
- Rifampin/dapsone ( antimetabolite, folic acid biosyntethis ) > 6-24 M
- BCG vaccine
what are some Non Tb mycobacteria?
- >M.avium complex/M.interacellular/M.paratuberculosis
- >M. kansasii
what are some epidemiological factor assosiated with NTM?
- environmental source
- infection caused by inhalation/injection
- major pathogen in immunocomprimized
what are some clinical manifestation for M.avium ?interacellular and kansaii?
- pulmonary infection in patients with pre.existing lung condition
- dissemination infections in immunodeficient patients ( increase bacterial burden in tissue and blood)
what are some clinical manifestation for M.paratuberculosis ?
- cause of inflamatory bowl disease in sheep and cattle ( john's disease)
- it is suspected to casue similar disease in human ( crohn's disease)
- extremely fastodious and slow growth
what are some diagnostic tools for NTM?
- Same as Mtb
- However differential diagnosis is a challange because NTM are very similar
- use of specific nucleotide probe
what are some treatments available for M.avium complex?
- It is drug resistant
- clarithromycin/ethambutol and rifabutin for 9 month
- success of treatment and tolerance of patient to treatment must be mentioned
what are some treatments available for M.kansasii?
INH/ Rifampin and ethambutol for 9 month
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview