Performing tracheostomy Care Check off
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- open the tracheostomy care kit maintaing sterility of its content. (open saline)
- Assess need for pain medication prior to procedure
open your disposable tracheostomy tube maintaining sterility of content
put on clean gloves + mask
Remove the client oxygen source
- Remove soiled dressing and place in your non-dominant hand.
- Then gently squeeze sides of disposable trach tube and dispose of both the dressing and the soilded trach tube in your glove. Dispose of in a appropriate receptacle (RED BAG)
Put on your sterile gloves after performing hand hygiene
Fill in large basin with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 saline
Fill one of the smaller basins with saline
Using a sterile 4x4, dip the end into the basin containing the 1/2 peroxide, 1/2 saline to moisten. It should not be dripping wet. Cleanse the faceplate (one for each side of the faceplate) and dispose of that gauze. Optain another gauze (or you may use another part of your gauze) and remove any exudate noted around the faceplate. You may need to use the provided cotton-tipped applicators to remove stubborn secretions and may be used only once. Insert sterile disposable trach tube and secure in place (some twist, some clip, and others may snap into place)
- Rinse, using another gauze moistened with NS and gently dry around trach and face plate with a sterile 4x4
- Reapply oxygen source as needed
Change Velcro trach tie if soiled and replace w/sterile tie. Undo only one side at a time to prevent dislodging. Insert the new tie on the side where you removed the soiled tie. Carefully remove the soiled tie from behind the client's neck and pull new tie behind the client's nech at the same time
Remove mask/shield and gloves. Discard in appropriate container. Perform hand hygiene and assess your client's respiratory status
Document in client chart
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview