Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
considered a major factor in having or dying from a heart attack, stroke, or other cardiovascular disease; developing high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes.
Increase in serving sizes
in restaurants and fast food establishments.
2005 USDA MyPyramid is
based on studies about nutrients and the way people eat in the US.
It takes into consideration the need for
daily activity and makes recommendations in both areas.
Emphasizes that nutrition be
kept simple, be physically active, stay within calorie limits, and enjoy foods rich in essential nutrients from all 5 food groups.
Ten Readily food high in phytonutrients and antioxidants such as vit A and E are
apples, almonds, blueberries, broccoli, red beans, salmon, sweet potatoes, vegetable juice, wheat germ, and spinach.
Any amout of physical activity
Important thing is to such
an activity you like, that fits in with your busy life stlye.
If you have medical issues
check with your doctor before starting to exercise. Start slowly and listen to your body.
Vigorous physical activity include
running/jogging, bicycling, swimming, aerobic exercise, walking, heavy yard work, weight lifting and basketball.
Three important parts to a workout
- 1. warm-up
- 2. main activity
- 3. cool-down
prepares the muscles, ligaments, and tendons for action before more vigorous use.
prevents the blood from pooling in the legs, which could limit the amt of blood returning to the heart.
muscle soreness, dizziness, and the amt of fatigue products, such as lactic acid, that build up in the blood.
Start day with stretch and flex
- 1. before getting out of bed- stretch
- 2. back muscles- lay on back draw knees to your chest
- 3. lower back- roll knees to side and back to center.
- 4. when getting up- roll to side use your elbows and arms to push up
Stretching is essential - at work
- 1. Improve circulation and prevent muscle cramps- do a seated spinal twist
- 2. Correct posture- stand up straight
- 3. Deep breathing- helps relieve tension in lowe back, neck, and shoulders.
- 4. A head roll- relieve tension in head, upper shoulders, and back.
- 5. Back stretches while sitting stretch the back, neck, and arm muscles.
- 6. Relieve back pain by sitting on edge and lift a weight alternate
- 7. Side stretches may relieve tensed arm, hip, and lower back muscle.
Preventing back injuries
- 1. use the right kind of lifting devices
- 2. learn proper use of lifting device
- 3. bring pt services to bedside rather than transporting
Picking up infections include
- 1. clothes and uniforms while bending over a pt
- 2. Stethoscopes, bp monitors,
- 3. Artificial nails and long natural nails
negative attitude and behavioral change about one's career, working with patients, and self care.
Burnout reasons include
- 1. unrealistic expectations
- 2. required to perform tasks against personal values
- 3. working under severe rules
- 4. bored work that doesnt challenge u
- 5. feeling trapped- economic reasons
Changes in attitude and behavior
- 1. lack of respect for patients
- 2. blaming patients
- 3. becoming cynical
- 4. feeling emotionally exhausted
- 5. forgetting self care
- 6. noticing more conflicts at home
- 1. try to experience empathy (respectful detached concern)
- 2. develop a detached way of evaluating yourself
- 3. develop time management skills to balance personal and professional life
- 4 use humor to keep perspective
- 5. maintain nursing skills
Nurses will experience secondary traumatic stress which include
hypertension, gastritis, peptic ulcers, and fatigue.
- 1. getting sufficient rest
- 2. proper diet and personal relaxation
- 3. positive relations with peers
Chemical dependency refers
to abuse of alcohol and/or other drugs.
Alcohol is a
drug that acts like a depressant.
Two emotional characteristics pose challenge to treatment
- 1. denial is very strong
- 2. person who drinks is usually skilled manipulator.
when a person has a pathological need to be needed by others. become obsessed with fixing behaviors of others.
- 1. become involved in patients lives
- 2. react to quickly to feelings
- 3. react with sense of intensity and urgency
- 4. believe only they can offer best care
- 5. are devastated by pts criticism
- 6. rescue, persecute, feel victimized
Dealing with negative stress
- 1. recreation- enjoyable activities
- 2. relaxation- decrease in P, RR, BP, muslce tension and metabolic rate
- 3. meditation- quiet environment, mental device, passive attitude
- 4. imagery- visualize calm, happy place
- 5. brief relaxation- yawning, doing nothing, breathing easy
- 6. progressive relaxation- tense all muscle groups together-deep relax
- 7. yoga- strengthens body, increase flex, improves circulation, lowers bp
- 8. sleep- adequate sleep, go to bed at same time, develop pattern to help in sleep