- Tribes filed lawsuits...
- 1950's he decides to settle this...
1. Compensation: wanted to end the lawsuits before trial, settle them out of court with money for lost tribal lands
2. Termination: end the rel. b/w US and NA tribes; fed. gov didnt want a nation within a nation; wanted to avoid another inner war
3. Relocation: break apart tribes strength; given one way tickets to urban citites (NY, LA); wanted the younger generation of tribes to see other opportunites; gave them systems for housing, job training, and 1/3 of them who took the ticket found way back
- 3 things to settle NA issue:
- Compensation; Termination; Relocation
- Didn't like this, made NA ghettos, prejudice, and unemployment; rise in alcoholism, heart disease, and diabetes, loss of culture