Church- East & West
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Where was the Western Church and what is it called?
- Europe- based in Rome
- Roman Catholic
Where was the Eastern Church, and what is & was it called?
- Middle East- based in Constantinople 9Istaanbul)
- Was- Byzantine Empire
- Now- Eastern Orthodox
Church and state views
- West: Church (Pope) dominant over state
- East: Emporer dominant over state
- West: Icons/religous devotion okay
- East: Rejected doevotions to icons and destroyed them
- West: Celibate priests
- East: Married priesthood
- West: Pope=spiritual leader
- East: Pope has too much power
What were the Crusades?
Battles to gain the Holy Land back from the Muslims
4 moral failures of the Crusades?
- Destroyed shirnes, homes, etc
- Concerned with power and money (greed)
- Violent massacres
- Chi;ldren's Cursade- tried to solve the problem with love. Merchants sold them into slavery/killed them.
Benefits of the Crusades
- New inventions
What did the benefits of the Crusades lead to?
Thought all material things are bad.
Who kept the church afloat?
St. Dominic & St. Francis
Sent to convert the Albagencians. Gathered others to help, called Dominican OP (Order of preachers)
- Extremely poor (materials=corruption) to lead to a better life
What were cathedrals?
Center of the diocese
Who lived in the cathedrals?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview