Card Set Information
How is a bruise removed?
The material is removed by phagocytes
What are the 4 activities of hemostasis following injury to the blood or blood vessels?
1. local spasm of arterial blood vessels and vasoconstriction (to reduce blood flow)
2. formation of a platelet plug to seal damaged blood vessels
3. activation of blood clotting factors to form stringy polymers of protein fibrin
4. fibrous tissue invades clot to permanently close hole
What is the advantage of hemostasis after an injury to blood/ blood vessels?
Decreases blood loss
4 steps of forming a platelet plug..
1. Platelets adhere to exposed collagen fivers beneath endothelium of damage vessel.
2. Platelets are activated and aggregate to form plug.
3. Platelets release their granules.
4. Platelet plug stops bleeding.
What reduces the chances of a blood clot forming?
Too much aspirin
Aspirin can be taken to reduce the risk of coronary thrombosis aka ___.
Heart clot/ heart attack.
What chemical releases activating Prothrombin?
Stuart Factor/ Factor X
What activates chemical reactions that result in stick Fibrin fibers?
Damaged tissue releases what?
What assists in making clotting factors needed to initiate Stuart Factor/ Factor X?
What is the group of genetic dicorders in which a "wrong" amino acid is inserted into a clotting factor protein?
What is the effect of hemophilia?
Insoluble fibrin clots do not form correctly/ the formation of the fibrin meshwork and a fibrin/ platelet clot fails.
Hemophilia A (factor 8 deficiency) is ___.