Define the following terms: imprinting, diphyodont,
altruism, heterodont, ethology, oviparous, homeothermic, trophoblast, sign
stimuli, and fitness
- Imprinting: learned behavior where something is
- imprinted in animal (ex. Geese imprint parent within a few hours or birth and
- learn to stay near them)
- Diphyodont: characteristic of mammals where
- there is two successive sets of teeth (baby and permanent teeth)
- Altruism: an unselfish behavior which lowers
- fitness of individual but increases fitness of pop.
- Heterodont: containing different types of teeth
- (ex. Carnivorous and herbivorous)
- Ethology: study of animal behavior
- Homeothermic: keeping constant internal temp.
- Trophoblast: cells forming the outer layer of a
- blastocyst which forms an active barrier between maternal and embryonic tissues
- (stopes immunological rejection by producing hormones)
- Sign stimuli: a sign that results in the activation
- of some behavior
- Fitness: the extent to which an organism is
- adopted to or able to produce offspring in a particular enviornmnet.