Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Failure of descent of one or both of the testes into the scrotum.
What puts a pt at risk for Cryptochidism?
- Low birth weight
- Alcoholism of mother
If a pt is uncircumcised, he is more at risk for what?
Abuse is most common in what populations
- children under 4 years
- special needs kids
Nocturnal Enueresis is most common in what populations?
- (Bed Wetting)
- low self esteem children
- anxious School aged children
the meatus is is on the underside of the penis; this is treated surgically
Inability to retract the forskin; this is painful with swelling and redness
At what age do boys go through puberty
9 1/2- 13 1/2
Non Gonococcal Urethritis
Chlamydia for men
What are some signs of testicular cancer?
- lump in testicle (pea sized)
- Any change in testicle size (shrink/ enlarge)
- change in consistancy of testicle (hardness)
- feeling of heaviness in scrotum
- dull ache in abdomen or groin
What population has the highest risk of testicular cancer
Name 2 risk factors for testicular cancer
- family history
- undescended testicles
When should men begin performing testicular self exams?
- age 13-14
- in the shower to relax the scrotum
What happens to men's sexual function as they age?
- Lower sperm count
- decreased circulation around age 40 (can't get it up!)
Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy
- non cancerous enlargment of the prostate
- decreases urine output
- thought to be caused by hormonal changes while aging
- gradual impedance of urinary output
- has same symptoms as prostate cancer
Risk factors of prostate gland
- black males
- diet high in fat, animal products, calcium; low in fruits and veggies
- low levels of physical activity
- environmental factors (cadmium, tire and rubber manufacturing, farming, mechanics, sheet/metal work)
Prostate specific Antigen
- begins to elevate as you age, but also if you have prostate cancer
- a normal level for young men is 2
- highest "normal" value is considered to be 4
- levels above 10 dramatically increase the probability of cancer
What increases the chances of early detection of prostate cancer
When a digital rectal exam is used with PSA
Femoral nodes are also known as
- Inguinal nodes: palpate for hardness
- must be less than 1 cm
- if hot or red= infection
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview