Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What factors influence the type of count you may use?
- Cost of the counting method
- Size of area to be counted
- Species to be counted
- Availability/Quality of manpower (NB)
- Purpose of count
What are the different types of game counts?
- Static obs
- Drive count
- Strip Drive count
- Road strip count
- Record method
- Ratio method
What is a Direct count?
- Shows exactly how many of the species you have.
- Used for intensive management esp. expensive sp.
- Monitoring growth of population
- Calculate pressure on environment (NB)
- Calculate utilization of various areas
What is a Midden count?
- Record amount of midden in area
- Mapped to establish territory (GIS)
- Frequency of use
- Habits of sp.counted
- Give an idea of size of territories, ie how many bulls. If midden used more then territory smaller, & vice versa
- depends on sp. - cannot do on those that don't have a territory ie Buffalo
Describe a Track Count?
- It is an indirect method of counting.
- Best to start with a clean slate
- Must have a good knowledge of tracking
- Distinguish between old and new tracks
- Correct identification essential.
- It is Quantitive v Qualitative
- ie how many v What have we got.
Briefly explain an Aerial Count ?
Can use a helicopter.plane, or aerial photo.
With aerial photo have grid over, and using special equip,note how many in photo.
- Plane count - 2 marks on window 2 on struts o/s plane, then count those in that area.
- If a herd use a photo then count later.
What is an Estimated Count?
- Need repeatability
- Has to be done over time to get accurate counts
- Calculate total population on farm
- Used for determining harvesting quotas
What are the problems with Estimated Counts?
- Uneven animal distribution on farm
- Animal habitat
- Animal habits
What is the Static observation method?
- It is easy to do.
- Direct counting method
- Integrity of observers very important
- Animal behaviour (day/night activity)
- Point selection must be a factor
What must you do in a Static point obs?
- Measure total surface of area observed
- Percentage of observed area of total habitat type
- Percentage of habitat type in total
What is a Drive Count?
- Is a very accurate direct counting method.
- Animals get driven ahead of counters
- Used for small properties
- Good line of sight required
- Done when veld dry & little leaves on trees
- Walk equal distance (50-100m) apart over width of property
- All count to the same side
- Done from 2 sides of dividing line
What are the problems with a Drive count?
- Can get breaks n the line
- Wrong animal id
- Animals may break fences to get away
- May interfere with herd structure
What is a Strip Drive Count?
- An indirect method with medium accuracy, similar to a drive count but wider conditions
- Have clearly marked out strips
- Centre counts left and right
- Those on left count left & vice versa
- Mean visibility calculated
- Suitable for homogene areas
What are the problems with a Drive Strip count?
- Thick bush will reduce visibility
- Animals in large herds
- Animals occurring in small patches
What is a Road Strip Count?
- Not very accurate method of counting
- Have marked out strips of given size
- Marked out with GPS
- Strips to cover all habitat types
- Must be done on the same day
- Sightings recorded onto map
- Log habitat transitions ie Savannah, River, Reeds, Open plains areas
What are the problems with Road Strip Counts?
- Animals are afraid of vehicles esp. if hunted
- Prejudice due to location of road ie don't cross rivers often
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview