The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
East Asian Climate
- Much like the US because both are large land bodies.
- "Continental Climate"
- Lots of Summer rainfall.
- Winter is dry.
Advance economic countries
- South Korea
Southern Japanese Climate
- South is hot and humid
- North is mountainous, snowy. Cold and wet wind out of Russia hit the mountains creating the rain shadow effect but with snow.
Chinese Mineral Resources
In the north there are tremendous amounts of coal. Manchuria - the coal led to heavy industrialization.
Petroleum in Asia?
Classified as deficient, but there are a few good new spots off the coast.
Big recent industrialization in Asia is where?
In the south. Yet there are no resources.
What resource made Japan incredibly powerful?
Human resources. No natural resources at all.
Japan is closely___________.
- Japan is closely unified.
- Inward looking.
- Closed culture.
- Spirit of self-sacrifice for the better of society.
Japan was colonized by?
Japan has never been colonized.
1904 war between Russia and Japan. Why?
Japan started trading with China, (Manchuria.)
Who was in it?
- Communist NK against republic SK
- Japan was winner because when they rebuilt our equipment we rebuilt their economy.
Who was sent from the US to Japan to work on Quality control?
W Edward Demming.
Europe tried to colonize the East but __________ was to big so _____________.
China was too big so they carved it up into little spheres of influence.
In 1911 China is officially overthrown causing a ____________.
- Peoples Republic of China
- Led by Sun Yat Sen
Led by who originally?
Then led by?
What was his big order?
- Nationalist Party - democratic party
- Led By Sun Yat Sen
- The led by Kai Schek
- He ordered all communist shot.
- The Nationalist Party trying to kill all communists.
- So the CCP fled from the south up to the north and west.
Chinese Industry center.
Peoples Republic of China
Vietnam was colonized by?
South East Asain origin?
Assume that the Portuguese were there first, then they were muscled out by someone else, (probably japan).
Most advanced country or city in SE Asia
The most ethnically diverse country in the world is?
The biggest Muslim country in the world is?
1997 - Asian Contasian
China undersold everyone and crashed the economy.
Thailand was controlled by?
Never been controlled.
- West - British
- East - French
- Ag exporter
Deficient, fuel deficient.
Afghanistan wasnt wanted by either Russia or Britain.
When they stopped fighting, internal turmoil arrose and the Taliban takes over.
- then Monguls,
- then British
- potential for off shore developments
- Through Jamshedpur, iron and steel,
- Textiles (Mumbai) - center for business and banking.
The economy opens up to the outside world
Chenai - Hyderabad
Indian electronics city
- Poorest country in the world.
- Grameen Bank - loaned to women
- Weak state due to unrest
- Worlds largest producer of soccer balls
Middle East Latitude
- Tropic of Cancer
- Subtropical high.
- Hot and dry
Fighting in the middle east over
Divisions of middle eastern countries due to
5 Pillars of Muslim Faith
- Affirmation of Faith
- Pilgrimage to Mecca
Origin of Muslim faith
Three most sacred cities in Muslim Faith
Mecca, Jerusalem, Medina
Difference in Suni and Shia muslims
- Suni leaders by election
- Shia by blood
Oil is found where in the Middle East
Why so many countries in N Africa?
How they divided after WWI
Egypt has a plentiful resource of?
When do the flood occur in Egypt
Where there is oil,____________
Where there is people,________________
Where there is oil theres no people, and where theres people theres no oil.
- No oil, big population,
- Wants to join the EU
Lebanon controlled by,
- Banking center of Middle East
Israel is recognized by the UN
Hot dry desert, small, no oil
Arabs and Israel
Always fighting, Israel always wins. Duh, theyre God's chosen people.
Land between what rivers?
Part of what empire?
- Water and oil.
- Tigris and Euphrates
Captured by russians then given back to China to spread communism.
Korea was a possession of?
What river splits North and South Korea?
India colonized by?