The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- one of the four basic tissues of the body
- epithelial, connective and nervous are the other 3
- in general, the nervous system gives the orders and the muscular system carries them out.
The 3 major types of muscles
- controlled by the conscious mind and moves the bones of the skeleton.
- found only in the heart
- starts the heart beating long before the animal is born
- does not require stimulation from nerves to carry out their basic functions, "built in"
- the nervous system influences the cardiac muscle cells but only to adjust and modify their basic activities, not to start them
- found all over the body such as the eyes, the air passageways in the lungs, the stomach and intestines, the urinary bladder, the blood vessels and the reproductive system
- carries out most of the unconscious, internal movements that the body needs to maintain itself
- does not require stimulation from nerves to carry out their basic functions, "built in"the nervous system influences the smooth muscle cells but only to adjust and modify their basic activities, not to start them
inflammation of muscle tissue
cytoplasm of a muscle cell
- it moves the bones of the skeleton
- voluntary striated muscle
- the striated part of the skeletal muscles alias (voluntary striated muscle), skeletal muscle cells are obviously striped (striated), alternating, cross-wise, dark and light bands run the length of each cell
- referring to well-defined organs composed of groups of skeletal muscle cells surrounded by a layer of fibrous connective tissue
- usually have a thick, central portion called the belly and two or more attatchment sites that join them to whatever tissues they move when they contract