The Earth and Mineral Resources.
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Inorganic substance such as sand, gravel,aluminum ore & iron ore
- Also refers to few organic sustance such as caol & oil (fuel minerals)
3 classes of rocks
- 1. Ingneous-Bosalt and granite fromed with molten mineral caol.2.Sedimentary rock-such as shale/sandstone formed from particles eroded from other types of rocks.
- 3.Metamorphinc rock- such as schist is formed when ingneous or sedimentary rocks are transformed by heat and pressure
- Nonfuel minerals are made up of elements such as silicon and oxygen.
- 1.metal-yielding mineral such as aluminum/copper
- 2.industrial mineral such as lime
- 3.construction mineral such as sand, gravel.
What is Ore
- Concentrated deposit of minerals
- Rock bearing imprtnat minerals
- Ex. Uranium ore
Major consumers of mineral
- 1.USA 4.5% of pop; 20% of mineral use
- 2.Japan,Canada, Europe, Russia
four strategies meeting future needs.
Recycling, conservation restoration and enviornment portection.
Coversion of renewable to nonrenewable resources
By converting renewable to nonrenewable resources we may be able to increase reserves but also comes with role of Suppy demand bc when supply down, the high cost will effect costumer price increase.
Law of supply and Demand
- S/D= affect price we pay for raw materials goods & services
- D. exceeds it S. price tend to rise
- Prices affect D.= use prices ^, D. of product decrease.
- Prices decrease, D. tends to rise
- Price, S./D.=elastic
Short term exposure vsually to high levels of one or more agents systoms generally appear soon after exposure.
- The delayed health results of toxic agents
- Ex: emphysema and cancer cantrast with acute effects.
- Mutations can occur in normal body such as skin or bone
- mutations occur frequently but are repaired by enzymes= can b cancerous.
Steps to turn ore into usable Material
- 1.Locate ore
- 2.mine 100% pds of material from ore
- 3.heat material at high temp
- 4.crush/run though concentractor to remove impurities
- 5.smelter material to extract crude metal
- 6.chemical reduction
- 7.refining and purfying
- 8.Crude metal is remlted to produce pure cooper (alloying to harden cooper)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview