Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- A characteristic that can be observed or measured without changing the sample's composition.
- Intensive Property: independent of the amount os subtstance (density, scent).
- Extensive Properties: dependent on the amount of substance present (length, volume, mass).
The ability of a substance to combine with or change into one or more other substances (iron forming rust when combines with the oxygen in air).
- A change which alters a substance without changing its composition.
- Phase change: a transition of matter from one state to another (physical change).
- *condensation, solidification, melting and boiling points, porosity, stability.
- A process that involves one or more substances changing into new substances
- Reactants: starting substances
- Products: are the new subtances formed
- *decompose, explode, rust, oxidize, corrode, tarnish, ferment, burn, rot.
Observations that suggest a chemical change occurred:
- Production of gas, bubbles, odor
- Release or absorption of energy
- Change of temperature
- Giving off light
- Change in color
- Formation of a precipitate
Law of conservation of mass:
During a chemical reaction the mass of products is equal to te mass of the reactants.
Are the simplest form of matter that has its unique set of properties
a substance that contains two or more elements chemically combined in a fixed proportion.
- A physical blend of two or more componens.
- Homogenous Mixture: Composition os uniform/ solution. (water, tea, liquids)
- Heterogenous: it wis not uniform (pizza, salad)
Have fixed composition.
- Brass: zinc and copper
- Stainless steel: ion and chromium
- Bronze: is an alloy
- Aluminum: is an alloy
- Karat gold: gold and other metals