The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are Organ Systems?
1. a group of organs that work together to maintain homeostasis
What are three examples of Organ Systems?
Digestive system, Nervous system, Cardiovascular system
What are organ systems made up of, and what are some examples?
- Each organ system is made up of specific organs
- for example; the digestive system is made up of the stomach, small and large intestines, liver, pancreas, esophagus
What is each organ made from?
Each organ is made from specialized tissues
How many main tissues are there? What are they?
- epithelial tissue
- connective tissue
- muscle tissue
- nerve tissue
What is an example of epithelial tissue? What is its function?
- skin, lining of digestive system
- protection from dehydration
- produces low friction surfaces
What is an example of connective tissue? What is its function?
- bones, tendons, blood
What are some example of muscle tissues, and what are their functions?
- muscles which make bones move, muscles surrounding digestive tract, hear (cardiac)
What are example of nerve tissue? What is the function of nerve tissue?
- brain, nerves in sensory organs
- communication with body
What is Homeostasis? What are some examples?
- regulates or maintains internal environment
- maintenance of oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
- Balance of nutrients and waste
- grow and repair tissue