Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the 5 areas of marine research?
- Identify bioactive compounds produced by marine organisms
- Understanding environmental factors, nutritional requirements, and genetic factors that control the production of primary and secondary metabolites
- Improve health, reproduction, growth, and cultivation of marine organism
- Developing bioremediation tools
What is the use of Aquaculture?
- Maintain populations of endangered marine organisms
- Marketable marine organisms
What are the 2 ways of making triploids?
- Diploid with a haploid
- Tetraploide with diploid
What affects marine animal health?
Protozoans, Bacteria, Virus and Fungi
How does biotechnology help marine animal health?
- Early disease detection
- Development and applying new antibiotics
- Development of pathogen free animals
What are the 3 types of algae?
Green, Red, Brown
What are the benefits of marine organisms to agriculture?
- Cyanobacteria (dried flakes) used as fertilizers
- Valuable genes
What methods are available to create transgenic fish?
- Electroporation (shock to open membrane)
- Injection through Micropyle
What is the most studied fish?
Salmon and catfish
What are the environmental concerns for transgenic fish?
What are 2 goals of genomics?
- Assembly of physical and genetic maps of genomes of different organisms.
- Find location and explain genes
What are the four categories of genetic disorder?
- Single-gene disorders
- Multi-gene disorders
- Chromosome abnormalities
What should be considered for a disease to be a candidate for gene therapy?
Caused by single, well studied and understood gene.
What are vectors?
Anything that carries DNA into a cell
What are the types of viral vectors?
Retrovirus, Adenovirus, adeno-associated virus
What are the nonviral vectors?
Electroporation, microinjections, biolistics, liposomes
What are several types of clinical trials?
- Diagnostic- identifies better tests for diagnosis
- Treatment- tests new therapies and drugs
- Prevention- ways to prevent disease
- Quality of life- improve well being of chronically ill
- Screening- detect specific diseases
What are the different types of stem cells?
- Embroyonic- before differentiation
- Fetal- some differentiation
- Umbilical cord blood cell- Multipotent
- Adult- Multipotent
What is VNTR used for?
What is the method of choice for DNA typing?
What are the uses of RFLP?
Forensics, Screening for diseases
What is single nucleotide polymorphism?
- Most are nucleotide substitution
- Detect mutations
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview