The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Three important characteristics of a population are its geographic distributions, density and growth rate
number of indiciduals per unit area
Three factors can affect population size: the number of births, death rate and number of individuals who leave and enter the population.
- occurs when the indiiiduals in a population reproduce at a constant rate
- in the prescence of unlimited resourced, a population will grow exponentially.
- The largest number of individuals that a environment can support.
- As resources become less available, the growth of a population slows or stops.
is a gactor that causes a population growth to decrease,
density dependent factor
- depends on population size
- competition: with one another for food and necesities
- Predation: as a predator's population decreases, the prey's increases.as the predator's population increasem the prey's decreases
- Parastism and disease: kill and decrease a population
- regardless of population size
- Human Disturbances: have cause disasters (greenhouse)
- Climate Extremes: extremes of cold or hot can toll on a population. They can also affect the population of the consumers within the food web and affect other consumers