FMF - Chapter 114
Card Set Information
FMF - Chapter 114
Marine Corps Drill and Ceremonies - Chapter 114
1. Name three of the five purposes of close order drill.
1. Move unit in orderly fashion
2. Provide simple formations that can be made into combat formations easily 3. Teach discipline
4. Increase confidence of junior officers and noncommissioned officers
5. Give Marines opportunity to handle their weapons
2. Define an element.
Individual, squad, section, platoon, or company that is part of a larger unit
3. Define a line.
Formation in which elements are abreast
4. Define a rank.
A line of Marines or vehicles, side by side
5. Define a file.
Single column of Marines or vehicles
6. Define a flank.
Extreme left or right of a formation
7. What is a normal interval?
One arm’s length
8. What is the distance of a pace?
9. What is the distance of a half step/back step?
10. What is the distance of a right/left step?
11. What are the four characteristics of voice command?
Voice control, Distinctness, Inflection, Cadence
12. Which characteristic of voice command involves the rise and fall in pitch and tone of the voice?
13. Give an example of a preparatory command. Give an example of a command of execution.
14. How many men does a standard color guard consist of? What does the senior color guard member do?
Four, carry the National Ensign
15. Draw a Marine Corps Color Guard.
Marine left rifle, Marine colors, Marine Ensign, Marine rifle
16. Draw a Navy-Marine Corps Color Guard.
Navy rifle, Navy colors, Marine colors, Marine Ensign, Marine rifle
17. Draw a Joint Armed Forces Color Guard.
Marine rifle, Coast Guard colors, Air Force colors, Navy colors, Marine colors, Army colors, Army Ensign, Army rifle
18. What is a “Wet Down” and when would it occur?
Party for newly promoted Staff NCO; soon after the promotion
19. What is the purpose of a “Hail and Farewell”?
To introduce new SNCOs and their spouses and say good bye to others that are leaving
20. In what year did the first group of Staff Sergeants receive their warrants?
Spring of 1923
21. During award ceremonies what is the order of presentation between promotions, re-enlistments, and personal awards?
22. What is a “Dining In” and who is allowed to attend?
Military, spouses, boy/girlfriends, and other non military guests
23. What is a “Mess Night” and who is allowed to attend?
Stag affair no non-military unless they are being recognized at the dinner
24. Where practicable what is the accepted uniform for the Marine Corps Birthday?
Evening dress or dress blues