Church ch 10
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What changes came about as a result of conflicts within the Church of the 1500s?
Corrupt and full of heresies, with indulgences at the root
Most famous seller of indulgences
What was this money used for?
- Construction of St. Peter's Bascilica
- Festive parade
- preached sermons that scared people into buying indulgences
Who started the protestant reformation?
Martin Luther background
- Set to be lawyer, almost died.
- Commited himself to church
- felt unworthy and afraid of judgment
- Salvation comes from faith alone
How did Luther begin the reformation?
Wrote 95 thesis -> Archbishop Albert
3 convictions of Luther
- Papal Authority
- Grace vs Works
Luther: Papal authority
the pope and his council aren't the final say on faith matters
Luther: Grace vs Works
- Jesus is the only one who can save, which gives faith.
- Salvation can't be earned by merit or good works.
Bible is the sole supreme authority of the Christain faith
How did the church respond to Luther?
Reverse his teaching or be excommunicated
What did Luther do when he was threatened to be excommunicated?
- He stayed with Duke Freddy in his castle
- Translated the Bible into German
- Lutheran statemaent of faith
- Summarized their beliefs
What name was attached to the Lutherans?
Peace of Augsburg
Local rulers chose the religion of their domain
State run by the Church
- Supreme authority of scriptures
- Christ not in Eucharist
- Very simple worship
- No joy/smiling
- Religious intolerance
Who reformed Protestant into Calvinism?
- Ulrich Zwingli
- John Calvin
Why did Henry VII break from the church?
He didn't have a successor, so he wanted his marriage annuled, and the church wouldn't
What resulted from Henry VIII breaking from the church?
He formed the Church of England
Who was St Thomas More
- Chancellor of england and king's bff. k
- Resigned to protest Henry VIII (new church)
Why did pope Paul III call the Council of Trent?
To reform the church and bring the Protestants back (didn't)
3 teachings the Council of Trent reaffirmed
- Faith is from scripture and tradition
- Church is the final interpreter of the scriptures
- Christ is present in Eucharist
What sacraments come from the scriptures?
How many sacraments come from tradition?
What did the council of trent impose?
Education-seminaries and universitites
What were the successes of Trent?
- Reformed abuses
- Clarified Church teaching
Failurees of Trent
Didn't reunite the church
Ignatious of Loyola
- Founded the Jesuits
- Wanted to enrich spirituality (bring people back to Christ)
- Educated the laity
St. Teresa of Avila
- Wrote "The Interior Castle" <compared the human body to a castle
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview