(Oxy Contin, with aspirin, Percodan, with acetaminophen: percoset)
- SIDE EFFECTS:
- Drowsiness, sedation, nausea, vomiting, anorexia, respiratory depression, constipation, cramps, orthostatic hypotension, confusion, headache, rash, euphoria.
- NURSING CONSIDERATIONS:
- Management of moderate to severe pain
- PO: peak 30-60 minutes, duration 4-6 hours, controlled realease: peak 3-4 minutes, duration 12 hours.
- Do not give if respirations are less than 12 per minute. Avoid use with alcohol other CNS depressants.
- Withdrawal symptoms may occur: nausea, vomiting, cramps, fever, faintness, anorexia
- Physical dependency may result from long term use
- RX: Schedule C-II Preg Cat B