VALPROATE, VALPROIC ACID
(val-proe-ate, val-proe-ic as-id)
- SIDE EFFECTS:
- Sedation, drowsiness, dizziness, Mental status and behavioral changes. Nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, prolonged bleeding time.
- NURSING CONSIDERATIONS:
- Used for management of seizures.
- Avoid abrupt withdrawal after long-term use; discontinue gradually to prevent convulsions.
- Monitor blood levels, platelets, bleeding time, and liver function tests.
- Duration of anticonvulsant effect: 6-24 hours (varies with age)
- RX: Preg Cat D