Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is RNA?
what type of nucleotide?
what does it consist of? (name the bases)
- ribonucleic acid (has more oxygen).
- -Ribose, phosphate group, nitrogenous base. (adenine, guanine, cytosine ,URACIL.)
What is the function of RNA?
to make proteins!
What are the 3 types of RNA?
- messenger RNA
- transfer RNA
- ribosomal RNA
structure and function of mRNA?
- (s) a single, uncoiled strand of RNA nucleotides that carries information. From DNA to ribosome.
- (f) serves as a template for protein synthesis. just carries information on what to do.
structure and function of tRNA?
- (s) a single, uncoiled strand of RNA nucleotides that has a specific amino acid attached to it.
- (f) brings in appropriate amino acid bases on complementarity.
structure and function of rRNA?
- (s) single strand of RNA nucleotides that makes a "globular shape"
- (f) makes up the ribosomes (site of protein synthesis) 2 parts of rRNA comes together (small sub unit & large)
what is protein synthesis?
the process by which an organism's genotype (genetic make-up) is translated into phenotype (traits)
2 stages of Protein Synthesis?
transcription and translation.
what is transcription?
what stage is it from?
- genetic information from a strand of DNA is copied into a strand of mRNA.
- #1 stage of Protein synthesis.
what is translation?
what stage is it from?
- process by which the "language" of nucleic acids are changed into the "language" of proteins. (links amino acids)
- #2 stage of Protein synthesis
What is the first step of protein synthesis?
how many steps does this have?
First step of transcription?
- 1.)RNA polymerase unwinds and unzips DNA molecules. How?
- Breaks the bonds between the nitrogenous bases.
Second step of transcription?
- 2.) RNA polymerase bonds free floating RNA nucleotides in the nucleus with complementary base pairs on DNA template.
- A-U, G-C
Third step of transcription?
3.) RNA polymerase forms the covalent bond between the ribose and phosphate group. *forms back bone*
Fourth step of transcription?
4.) RNA molecule breaks free of the DNA template....RNA polymerase puts DNA back together.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview