Chemistry Lect 2
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How much space will 1 mol of gas occupy at STP
- 22.4 L
- STP: 0° C and 1 atm
At lower temps, dense gasses ___.
settle below less dense gases
Ideal Gas Law:
- PV = nRT
- R: 0.08206 L atm/K/mol
- Make completely elastic collisions
- Exert no forces except to repulsive forces due to collisions
- Molecules have zero volume
- The ave kinetic energy is directly proportional to the temp of the gas
Kinetic Energy Equation for Ideal Gases
K.E. = 3/2 RT
Velocity of Ideal Gas Molecules
- v1/v2 = sqrt(m2) / sqrt(m1)
- m: mass of the gas molecules
- Eff Rate1 / Eff Rate2 = sqrt (M2) / sqrt (M1)
- M: molecular weight
What causes deviation from ideal gas behavior?
Increased Pressure and Decreased Temps
Chemical Kinetics vs. Thermodynamics
- Kinetics: how fast equilibrium is reached
- Thermodynamics: what equilibrium looks like
What are reaction rates dependent on?
- Temp, Pressure, and Concentration
- the point of greatest entropy
- there is no net change in concentration
- Keq = products / reactants
Increasing temp ___ the solubility of a salt.
- This is always true, even if the rxn is exothermic
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview