Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Postpartum these reduce in size...
uterus, fundus (1 cm per day), cervix, vagina
When doing Head to Toe Health Hx add in...
- Measure from top to bottom
- 12 wks symphysis pubis
- 16 wks halfway umbillicus/ symphysis pubis
- 20 wks umbillicus
- 36 wks xiphoid process
- After 36 wks may be lower... if bigger find out why
Uterus increases to hold...
15-20 liters of fluid
Uterine Blood flow
- Increases during preg.
- Trauma to pelvis is SERIOUS
vag turns blue
- protects baby from vag. bacteria
- decreases vag. pathogenic bacteria
- hCG production maintains corpus luteum until 6-7 wks
- secretes progesterone until placenta takes over
suppressed by progesterone (spr) which decreases closer to term
- ^ in size and modularity
- colostrum (12 wks)
- More thoracic breathing
- decreased CO2 threshold (b.c. of progesterone)
- ^ tendency to hyperventilate
- Stuffiness & epitaxis (nose bleed common)
- Apex- 4th ICS, lateral to MCL (apical pulse)
- Increased size
- Systolic murmur
- S3 common
- Decreased T waves (norm)
- ^ @ 10 wks
- Peaks @ 20-24 wks
- HR ^ 20beats/min
- C.O. @ term 6l/min 20% to uterus
- slows after delivery x7 days
Decreases during 1st trimester/ is lowest during 2nd trimester
Venal Caval Syndrome (supine hypotension)
- Vena cava compressed by fundus
- = decreased C.O., thrombosis
- Nursing Intervention= Suggest lying on either side instead of back
- Blood vol. ^ 1200-1500 mL
- WBC ^ ( could increase to 25-30,000)
- Platelets, fibrin, fibrinogen & coagulation factors ^
Can lose 30% of fluid vol. w/o vitals changing....
b/c body will pull blood from uterus/baby causing baby to experience blood loss
- Decreased motility, emptying, & esophageal regurgitation
- ^ gallbladder emptying time = gallstones
- weight gain 25-35 lbs
- ^ in weight & size
- physiologic hydronephrosis (H2O backed up into kidney)
- ^ in infection
- ^ in kidney stones
- tone decreases
- capacity x2 (> 1 liter)
- Infection can cause contractions
- Mask of pregnancy (light brown spots on skin/face)
- butterfly shaped area of pigmentation
line from umbillicus to pubis area
sudden gush of fluid from vagina could mean...
premature rupture of membranes
Vaginal Bleeding could mean....
lesions of cervix or vagina "bloody show"
Abdominal pain could mean...
premature labor, abruption of placentae
Temp above 101 deg. f & chills could mean...
Dizziness, blurring of vision, 2x vision, spots before eyes could mean...
Persistent vomiting could mean...
Severe headache could mean...
Edema of hands, face, legs & feet could mean...
Muscular irritability, convulsions could mean...
Epigastric pain could mean...
preeclampsia-ischemia in mj. abd vessels
Oliguria could mean...
Renal impairment, decreased fluid intake
Dysuria could mean...
Abscence of fetal movement could mean...
maternal medication, obesity, fetal death