(complex food taken into the mouth is ingested
(food broken down is digested
, mechanically & chemically, as it travels through the gastrointestinal tract.)
- 3) absorption (digested food passes through the lining cells or epithelium of the small intestine and into the bloodstream.)
- -Digestive enzymes speed up the chemical reactions and aid the breakdown (digestion) of complex nutrients.
- --Complex proteins are digested to simpler amino acids
- ---complicated sugars are reduced to simple sugars, such as glucose.
- ----large fat or lipid molecules are broken down to simpler substances such as fatty acids and triglycerides (three parts fatty acids and one part glycerol).
(solid waste materials that cannot be absorbed into the bloodstream is eliminated.)