American Experience 1930s
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What did the bonus army do in 1932?
20,000 veterans and their families build Hooverville in DC and demand bonus. kicked out by army
when was FDR elected?
what is relief?
immediate help for families
what is recovery?
long term plan for improvement
what is reform?
making changes to the gov't and econ to prevent future problems
What does FDIC stand for? What did it do? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Federal Depositor's Insurance Corporation
- insured bank deposits
What does FERA stand for? What did it do? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Federal Emergancy Releif Association
- sends funds to agencies trying to help Americans
Who was associated with FERA?
What does CWA stand for? What did it do? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Civil Works Program
- gave jobs building and repairing roads, parks, airports
What does CCC stand for?
- Civilian Conservation Corp
- sent young unmarried men to work on camps, forests, beaches and parks
What ethnic group was helped? How were they helped? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Native Americans
- get $ for schools, hospitals, irrigation systems
- relief and reform
What do NIRA and NRA stand for? What did they do? Were they relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- National Industrial Recovery Act and National Recovery Act
- helped to fix econ: regulated wages, working conditions, production and prices; power was given to unions
What does PWA stand for? What did it do? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Public Works Administration
- huge engineering projects like Grand Coulee Dam
What does AAA stand for? What did it do? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Agricultural Adjustment Act
- gov't supports farmers efforts to raise prices and farmers paid not to grow crops
What does TVA stand for? What did it do? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- hydroelectric plants in south- provided jobs and electricity
- relief and recovery
What does the WPA stand for? What did it do? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- Works Progress Administration
- More jobs in communities, schools, hospitals and jobs for artists, performers, musicians
- relief and recovery
What is the Social Security System? Was it relief, recovery or reform or a combo of both?
- retirement savings and survivors benefits, unemployment insurance, aid for dependent children and disabled
How was the new deal communicated?
What were two criticisms of the new deal?
- 1) too much gov't control vs. not enough
- 2) deficit spending and national debt
What did FDR propose about the Supreme Court that was criticised? What was this propal called?
- increases number of supreme court justices, (9-12).
- Court Packing
What is fascism?
philosphy that the nation is more important than individual
Which two leaders used fascism after WWI and Great Depression to rebuild their countries?
- Adolf Hitler- Germany
- Benito Mussolini- Italy
What fascist group did Mussolini form? What were they based on?
- They were angry that they were shortchanged in WWI
What happened in Nov 1923?
Hitler failed to overthrow gov't
How long did Hitler go to jail for? What did he do as a result?
- 9 months
- wrote Mein Kampf (my struggle)
What does Der Fuher mean?
What does Germany violate by invading Rhineland?
Treaty of versailles
Who does Hitler sign an alliance with? What is this alliancce (which later includes Japan) called?
- Mussolini (Italy)
- Axis Powers
What is the Appeasement of Hitler?
European leaders give in to Hitler to keep peace
What happened on September 1st, 1939?
Hitler invaded Poland. WWII began
How long did it take to take Poland?
What is the Maginot Line?
Fortification along French border facing Germany: lots of huge guns
In May 1940, which countries does Hitler take? What does he have to avoid to do this?
- Belgium, Netherlands and France
- Avoids Maginot Line
What was the evacuation of Dunkirk?
Rescue of British forces who had been defending France
Who was attacking the British forces in France?
Luftwaffe air force (German)
What was the significance of the evacuation of Dunkirk?
saved the British Army to fight another day
What was the Battle of Britian?
Hitler begins intensive bombing campaign on Britain but they refuse to surrender
What is the RAF?
British Royal Air Force
Where is Japan building it's empire? What is it's goal?
Empire in China, Korea and Indonesia. Goal= take all of Asia
What were three responses of America to the war in Europe?
- 1) remain neutral, although FDR builds up Pacific navy
- 2) congress passes neutrality acts but weapons and supplies were ssold to Allies
- 3) lend leases act= president could aid any nation whose defense was vital to America's
What helps the economy to turn around?
What is FDR's response to Japanese agression in Asia?
FDR cuts off trade with Japan and freezes all Japanese assets in US
On what day was Pearl Harbor attacked by Japan?
Dec 7th, 1941
What was the result of Pearl Harbor?
congress declares war on Japan, Germany and Italy
What does the following quote refer to:
"If your neighbor's house is on fire, you don't sell him a hose. You lend it to him and take it back after the fire is out."
Lend Lease Act
What does Blitzkrieg mean? What does it refer to?
"Lightning War" A stategy of Hitler's to inavde very quickly
governments with total control
What does Hitler propose in his book, Mein Kampt?
- expanding military/ German borders
- "purifying Aryan race"
What was Hitler's response to the accusations that he murdered his enemies?
He did it for his country
How were British troops rescued during the Evacuation of Dunkirk?
by civilian fisherman and boaters
What was a new weapon of WWII?
The term for America providing military weapons and supplies yo Europe:
Arsenal of Democracy
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview