The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How much of your body is made of water
Extracellular fluid (ECF) includes what compartments
- Interstitial Fluid (IF)
- Plasma Volume
- Transcellular fluid
In what ways can you estimate body fluid volumes
- By using a percent of the total body mass.
- By using a percent of total body water.
- By using a percent of extracellular fluid
What are the percentages of each compartment in respect to our total body weight
- Plasma Volume (PV) 20% of ECF
- Interstitial Fluid (IF) 75% of ECF
- Transcellular Fluid 5% of ECF
- Intracellular Fluid (ICF)60% of TBW
What percent of the body is made of the Extracellular fluid
40% (60%) Intracellular
Indicator Dilution Method is performed how
- Determination of compartmental volume
- 1.Place indicator A in the compartment B.
- 2.Allow it to disperse evenly though out the compartment’s fluid
- 3.Analyze the extent to which the substance is diluted
Indicator Dilution Method equation
Vol (B) = (Vol (A) x Conc (A))/ Conc (B)
Indicators for Plasma Volume (PV)
125I-albumin, Evans blue dye
Indicators for Extracellular Fluid (ECF)
Indicators for Total Body Water (TBW)
A 70 kg, 28 yr female presented after fainting while getting ready for work. 10 mL of an isotonic saline solution with the addition of 45 mg/mL of inulin was administered to her (‘Elizabeth’) through an arm vein. After a 4 hour equilibration period, a blood sample is withdrawn and the plasma is separated and analyzed for inulin content. A concentration of 0.05 mg/ml of inulin was found. What is the ECFV level of the patient?
is the measure of solute concentration, defined as the number of osmoles (Osm) of solute per liter (L) of solution (osmol/L or Osm/L).
Osmoles per kilogram of water (Osm/Kg)
The osmotic pressure of a solution is
The pressure necessary to stop the net movement of water across a selectively permeable membrane.
Van’t Hoff equation tells you
- The more permeable the membrane is for a solute (lower f), the lower the osmotic pressure.
- The less permeable the membrane is for a solute (higher f), the higher the osmotic pressure.
An impermeable substance such as albumin exerts its own osmotic effect known as
- Colloid osmotic pressure or plasma oncotic pressure. (GIBBS-DONNAN EFFECT) It is used in the kidneys to keep a healthy pressure in the capillaries
Protein repels permeable anions such as Cl-
Which has a lower chloride concentration the plasma or Interstitial fluid, why?
The plasma, calloid osmotic pressure it repels Cl-
Tonicity is a measure of the osmotic pressure of two solutions separated by a semipermeable membrane (So the cell must expand or shrink)
Osmotic vs. Tonic
Solution of molecules freely permeable to the plasma membrane (Osmotic) as aposed to those that aren't permeable (Tonic)
‘Elizabeth’, the same patient as previously analyzed, was also administered 30 mL of tritiated water (3H2O) as an isotonic saline solution (300 mOsm/L) into an arm vein. Similarly, after a 2 hr equilibration period, a blood sample is withdrawn and the plasma is separated and analyzed for 3H2O. A concentration of 0.2432 mOsm/L 3H2O was found. Based on this information, and that found previously, what is the ICFV of the patient?
Men have a Total Body water (TBW) average of
60% of their weight is from water
Women have a Total Body water (TBW) average of
50% of their body weight is water