Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are direct methods of measuring growth
Indirect methods of measuring bacterial growth?
- Trubidity with the use of a spectrophotometer
- or enzymatic activities
Other ways of measuring bacterial growth?
What technique can you use to get a pure culture of bacteria?
Isolation techniques, streak a plate for isolation.
What does a selective media do?
Selects for one type of bacteria over another.
What does a differential media do?
It will differentiate differences in bacteria such as formation of lactose.
How is a MSA (Manatol Salt Agar) plate selective and differential?
- Selective for bacteria that can grow in high salt.
- Differential for mannitol fermenters,
- Mannitol fermenters will ferment and release acid that changes the pH indicator in the media from pink to yellow
- Non mannitol fermenters will not change the color of the media.
How many cells are needed to form a colony on a plate?
What is generation time?
Is the time needed for one cell to divide and become two cells.
Calculation of final concentration?
Final [ ] = (initial concentration)(2 to the power of # of generation)
- Example: Final [ ] = (1.0 x 10^2)(2^5)
- Final [ ] = 3200 cells
Calculation of generation time?
Generation Time = Time (in min.) / number of generations
Example: GT = 120min / 10.3 gnenerations
GT= 11.7 min/generation
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview