The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Which statement is untrue regarding a chlorine leak?
Apply water to the leak to stop the flow of gas
You have 1.0 mgll manganese in your finished water. What can you expect?
Staining of plumbing fyctures
Per SDWA, which statement is not true for chemical analysis?
Records must be kept for 5 years
You have organic color in the raw water. What is the best treatment?
H2S0, A12(S04)3N, aOH
With less NH3 in the raw water, what will you notice?
Chloramine formed before breakpoint, less C12 needed to reach breakpoint
Blue Baby Syndrome is caused by what?
You find 4 coliforms on a distribution sample plate. You should:
Get 4 repeat samples
The bible plug on a chlorine cylinder will melt at which temperature?
157-162 degrees F
Aeration will do which of the following:
Increase D.O. and pH, decrease H2S and C02
How do you soften non-carbonate hardness?
Plant tap turbidity samples are required to be taken at a minimum of every 4 hours. What percent of a month's worth of samples must be below 0.5 NTU?
CT values are expressed in what units?
What is the best treatment for phenols?
Activated carbon is rated according to what?
Too much carbonate deposition on the filters will cause what?
- Shorter filter runs
- wer turbidity
17. You fmd 1.3 mg/l Barium at a customer's sink outlet. You should:
- A. Notify customer and resample within 48 hours at the sample location
- B. Do nothing
- C. Notify the media within 72 hours and resample same day at same location
- D. Report to OEPA within 7 days and initiate 3 additional analyses at the same point
18. What is the optimum filter rate for a rapid sand filter according to standard
19. When does negative non-carbonate hardness exist?
Hardness 110 Alkalinity 130
20. What is the best chemical to treat with if you have low hardness and high alkalinity?
- A. Lime
- B. Lime and Zeolite
- C. Na2C03
- D. Caustic
21. Sodium ion exchange increases what in the finished water?
- A. Ca(S04), MgS04, Mg(OH)2
- B. Na2S04, NaC1, NaN03
- C. Na2C03, CaC12, MgC03
- D. NaOH, Ca(OH),, Na2C03
22. The action level for copper at the customer's tap is based on what percentage?
- A. 95% of samples being above 1300 ugll
- B. 5% of samples being above 1300 ug/l
- C. None of the above
23. Which sets of parameters are needed to calculate CT values?
- A. Reactor C12 residual, pH, temp. in CO, raw flow gpm, reactor width, baffling factor
- B. Reactor C12 residual, pH, temp. in FO, finished flow gpm, reactor depth, baffling factor
- C. Reactor C12 residual, raw flow gpm, reactor volume, baffling factor
- D. Reactor C12 residual, raw flow gpm, reactor depth, baffling factor
24. You install a C102 set up in your plant. You must:
- A. Maintain a 500 mgll C12 in solution containing chlorites
- B. Maintain a 500 mgll chlorites in solution containing CI2
- C. Keep a two week supply of CIOz on hand as a minimum
- D. Keep a one week supply of C12 on hand as a minimum
25. As the temperature of water decreases, the ability of the floc particles to settle
- will do what?
- A. Decrease
- B. Increase
- C. Stay the same
- 26. What is the best pH range for color removal?
- 27. KMn04 is primarily used for:
- A. Taste and odor control
- B. Settling and manganese removal
- C. Chemical regeneration
- D. Disinfection
28. Name the taste and odor algae.
- A. Volvox, coliform, aphanizominon
- B. Cyclotella, asterrionella, melosira
- C . Anabaena, ceratium, synedra
3 1. Effective size of sand passes state standards, but uniformity coefficient is high. You can expect:
- A. Sand compacting
- B. Sand non-compacting
- C. Decrease loss of head
- D. Increase loss of head
32. As *the loss of head increases on a filter, the rate of flow controller will do what?
- A. Open up to area of flow
- B. Close to area of flow
- C. Try to remain at same opening
33. SDWA approved method for C12 residual:
- A. OTA
- B. Amperometric colorirneter
- C. DPD
- D. NTU
34. TON is measured by using what?
- A. Conductivity meter
- B. Odor fkee water
- C. pH probe
35. At the same flow rate, what will be the effect on the velocity when the pipe diameter is doubled?
- A. Increase velocity twofold
- B. Decrease velocity twofold
- C. Increase velocity fourfold
- D. Decrease velocity fourfold
36. Which is the least corrosive water?
- A. High calcium, low alkalinity
- B. High alkalinity, high calcium
- C. High alkalinity, low calcium
- D. High calcium, high residual C12
39. You are going to fill your up ground reservoir from a stream which is subject to feed lot runoff. What do you test for?
- A. NO3, D.O., C1
- B. S04, PO4, CL
- C. CO, NO3, SO4
- D. Algae, CL, coliform
41. Which statement is untrue regarding a C102 system in your plant?
- A. Maintain a 500 mg/l C12 in solution containing chlorites
- B. The solution has a greenish-yellow color
- C. Feed water should be softened to less than 100 mg/l
- D. 2NaC102 + C12 -+ 2C102 + 2NaCl
42. Partially closing the discharge valve on a centrifugal pump will cause:
- A. The motor to draw less amperage
- B. The motor to run hotter
- C. The motor to run slower
- D. The motor to draw more amperage
44. Which laboratory apparatus is used to measure dissolved solids in water?
- A. Spectrophotometer
- B . Arnperometric titrator
- C . Conductivity meter
- D. Zeta-potentiometer
45. Larger particle size and less dense filter media will produce:
- A. Shorter filter runs and slower rate of flow
- B. Longer filter runs and faster rate of flow
- C. Longer filter runs and slower rate of flow
- D. Shorter filter runs and faster rate of flow
46. If lime dosage in a lime sofiening plant is doubled, the result would be?
- A. Incrustation
- B. Increase filter runs
- C. Decrease in chlorine demand
- D. Increase in clear well production
47. For breakpoint chlorination the optimum pH for chlorine feed is:
- A. 6.5-7.5
- B. Less than 7.0
- C. Greater than 8.0
- D. 7.0-8.0
48. The motor of a centrifugal pump over heats because a high volume of water is being pumped against a low head. The pump discharge valve is throttled back so that only 30% of the original volume is being pumped. What will this do to the motor temperature?
- A. Temperature will increase
- B. Temperature will remain the same
- C . Temperature will decrease
- D. Temperature will decrease slightly but then increase sharply
50. Sodium alkalinity is also known as negative noncarbonate hardness (NaHC03) because it reacts with lime to:
- A. Reduce carbonate hardness
- B. Reduce sodium hardness
- C. Reduce all forms of alkalinity
- D. Reduce noncarbonate hardness
5 1. What should you notice after well water has been aerated?
- A. Increase D.O. and pH, decrease H2S and CO2
- B. Increase D.O. and H2S, decrease pH and CO2
- C. Decrease D.O. and pH, increase H2S and CO2
- D. Decrease D.O. and His, increase pH and CO2
52. The pH is a measure of ?
- A. Conductivity
- B. Water's ability to neutralize acid
- C. Hydrogen ion activity
- D. Dissolved solids
53. The primary source of volatile organic chemical (VOC) contamination of water supplies is?
- A. Agricultural
- B. Industrial solvents
- C. Acid rain
- D. Agricultural fertilizers
54. Hydrogen sulfide gas causes?
- A. Corrosion of structures and equipment
- B. High pH values
- C. Destruction of algae
- D. Destruction of bacteria
55. The type of corrosion caused by the use of dissimilar metals in a water system is?
- A. Caustic corrosion
- B. Galvanic corrosion
- C. Oxygen corrosion
- D. Tuber
56. Chlorine reacts with nitrogenous compounds to form?
- A. Ammonia nitrate
- B. Free chlorine
- C. Chlorinated hydrocarbons
- D. C hlorarnines
57. If solids in water have an average specific gravity of 1.20, they are?
- A. 12 % heavier than water
- B. 20 % heavier than water
- C. 2 % heavier than water
- D. 20 % lighter than water
58. Cavitation in pumps may be caused by pumping?
- A. Against discharge heads higher than design values
- B. Excessive amounts of abrasive solids
- C. Flow rater considerably higher than design flows
- D. With impeller speed below manufacturer's recommendations
59. Trohalomethane (THM) precursors are compounds?
- A. Chloramine
- B. Methane
- C. Natural organic
- D. Synthetic organic
60. Three most commonly used coagulants in water treatment are?
- A. Aluminum hydroxide, lime, and sodium hydroxide
- B. Aluminum sulfate, ferric chloride, and ferrous sulfate
- C. Lime, sodium hydroxide, and chlorine
- D. Soda, lime, and chlorine
61. In order for a chemical to hction satisfactorily as a coagulant, it must?
- A. Destroy bacteria
- B. React with the alkalinity in the water causing floc formulations
- C. React with the lime
- D. Remove taste and odorscular corrosion
62. Alkalinity in water serves as?
- A. A measure of the concentration of calcium
- B. A mild disinfectant
- C. A measure of the water capacity to neutralize an acid
- D. A corrosion inhibitor
63. Greensand is often used as a filter medium for water with high?
- A. Turbidity
- B. Manganese concentrations
- C. Bacterial counts
- D. Magnesium concentrations
64. Chemicals that cause alkalinity in water are?
- A. Calcium carbonate and calcium oxide
- B. Calcium sulfate and sodium sulfate
- C. Magnesium chloride and iron chloride
- D. Sodium chloride and calcium chloride.
65. The process in which dye or fluoride is added to the water to test for velocity?
- A. Velocity test
- B. Tracer study
- C. Dye test
- D. Velocity study
66. In a direct filter plant which process is skipped?
- A. Flocculation
- B . Coagulation
- C. Flash mix
- D. Sedimentation
67. Which one is not a polymer?
- A. Anionic
- B. Cationic
- C. Nonionic
- D. Covalent
68. The chemical transformation of a substance in solution into an insoluble form is?
- A. Coagulation
- B. Sequestration
- C. Precipitate
- D. Flocculation
- E. Sedimentation
69. Whichofthe followingconditions, when found in the water supply, would tend to increase the corrosiveness of the water on metals?
- A. High dissolved CO2 content
- B. High alkalinity
- C. Low dissolved CO2 content
- D. Low dissolved minerals
70. The principal reason for using soda-ash in the lime -soda softening process is to?
- A. Absorb
- B. Remove non-carbonate hardness
- C. Adjust corrosion index to scale forming side
- D. Maintain proper sulfate-carbonate
71. What is the amount of time water should set in the distribution line before a lead and copper sample is drawn?
- A. 12 hours
- B. 24 hours
- C. 48 hours
- D. 6 hours
72. Which chemical is considered the most effective for removing or destroying the effect phenols have in water?
- A. C102
- B. Cl2
- C. Activated carbon
- D. KmN04
73. Which raw materials are used to generate chlorine dioxide?
- A. Sodium chlorate and chlorine
- B. Sodium chlorite and chlorine
- C. Sodium chloride and chlorine
- D. Sodium hypochlorite and chlorine
76. When selecting a coagulant and a coagulant aid you should check for which of the following?
- A. Tempature
- B. Ph
- C. Hardness
- D. Alkalinity
- E. All of the above
77. What makes non-carbonate hardness?
- A. Hydroxides
- B . Carbonates
- C. Nitrates
- D. Bi-carbonates
- E. Soda ash
79. Temperature decreases what happens?
- A. Settling increases, chemical use increases
- B. Settling decreases, chemical use decreases
- C . Settling decreases, chemical use increases
- D. Settling stays the same, chemical use stays the same
- E. Doesn't matter because I'm moving to Florida
80. Filter sand size increase do to?
- A. Over feed soda - ash
- B. Over feed carbonization
- C. Under feed carbonization
- D. Under feed soda - ash
- E. Too long of a filter back wash
8 1. Required to monitor for which inorganic?
- A. Fluoride, arsenic, nitrates and nitrite
- B. Arsenic, antimony, and cadmium
- C. Fluoride, asbestos, and cyanide
- D. Mercury, selenium, and thallium
- E. Nitrate, nitrite, selenium
82. How to calculate pump draw down?
- A. Static level - cone of depression
- B. Ground level - pump centerline
- C. Pump centerline - draw down level
- D. Cone of depression - pump center line
- E. Cone of depression - static level
83. What does MRDL stand for?
- A. Mean Residual Detection Limit
- B. Maximum Residual Detection Limit
- C. Minimum Resident Duration Length
- D. Minimum Range Detection Length
- E. Minimum Range Detection Limit
84. Which of the following is not a physical characteristic of water?
- A. Temperature
- B. Color
- C. Taste
- D. Odor
- E. Hardness
85. Which of the following is not a sludge thickening process?
- A. Drying beds
- B. Slow sand filter
- C . Spiractor equipment
- D. Belt press
- E. Micro waving
86. Which process does not remove Fe and Mn?
- A. Base exchange
- B. Filtration
- C. Flocculation
- D. Oxidizing
- E. Aeration
87. What is the minim distance f?om a sewer line to a water main laying horizontal to each other under ground?
- A. There are no limits
- B. 20 Feet
- C. 22 Feet
- D. 10 Feet
- E. 5 feet
88. What is the minium distance a water line can be placed under a sewer main underground?
- A. 24 inches
- B. 36 inches
- C. 48 inches
- D. 18 inches
- E. None of .the above
89. What is .the minium distance a water line can be placed over a sewer main underground?
- A. 24 inches
- B. 36 inches
- C. 18inches
- D. 48 inches
- E. None of the above
90. How are three phase motors usually protected?
- A. Circuit breakers
- B. Fuses
- C. Amp meters
- D. Transformers
- E. Overload relays
9 1 . What does MPN stand for?
- A. Maxim Population Number
- B. Minium Population Number
- C. Maxim Phosphorus Neutrons
- D. Most Probable Number
- E. Most Potable Number
92. What does IDLH stand for?
- A. Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health
- B. Intermediate Dial Left on Hand Operation
- C . Indefinite Direction Left-hand Turn
- D. Immediately Dangers do to Lighting and Hale
- E. Indefinite Destruction to Life and Health
93. What does the Vacuum Regulator - Check Unit do on a chlorine feed system?
- A. Regulations chlorine feed rate manually
- B. Maintains a constant vacuum on chlorinator
- C. Discharges solution mixture of chlorine and water
- D. Mixes or injects chlorine gas into water supply
- E. Provides source of air to reduce excess vacuum
94. The unit used to measure current strength.
- A. Ampere
- B. Watt
- C. Volt
- D. Kilowatt hour
- E. Current
95. Why are zinc and magnesium commonly used as sacrificial anodes in water tanks and or for buried pipes?
- A. Last longer than other metals in corrosive waters
- B. They will not corrode
- C. They form a protective coating over other metals
- D. They corrode preferentially to aluninum and iron
- E. They are the cheapest thing that we can find
96. Which of the following chemical factors influence corrosion?
- A. pH
- B. Dissolved solids
- C. Dissolved oxygen
- D. Hardness
- E. Alkalinity
97. Which chemicals should be added to achieve calcium carbonate saturation in waters with high levels of hardness and alkalinity?
- A. Soda ash
- B. Hydrated lime
- C . Calcium hydroxide
- D. Caustic soda
- E. Quicklime
98. What are the health effects fkom copper in drinking water?
- A. Stomach and intestinal distress
- B. Increased blood pressure
- C. Cancer
- D. Deficits in hearing
- E. All the above
99. How can a water utility anticipate the onset of a taste and odor episode?
- A. By sampling and analyzing raw water
- B. By keeping complete and accurate records of out breaks
- C. By expecting health department to warn utility in advance
- D. By relying on consumers to anticipate outbreaks
- E. Just wait for them to happen and apologize
100. Where is powdered activated carbon often applied?
- A. At flocculation tariks
- B. After filtration
- C. After chlorination
- D. Out in distribution system
- E. At flash mixer
101. What is the best early warning of wastewater contamination of the source of water?
- A. An increase in raw water flows
- B. A failure of a bacteriological test
- C. An increase in coliform counts
- D. A sudden drop in chlorine residual
- E. A sudden bloom of algae