The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Carries action from subject to an object. always followed by direct object--reciepent of action.
- The hurrichane struck the coast
- (subject) (verb) (direct object)
Not transitive. no recepient, but still conveys action. (where, how, when)
- Relief workers arrived at the disaster scene.
- (subject) (verb)
- Links subject with a modifier. usually a "to be" verb, but not always. (state of being)
- Only connects nouns, pronouns and adjectives, never adverbs.
- Tom Bradley is the new president.
- (Subj.) (Link verb) (noun)
- infinitive = appear
- past tense = appeared
- Past participle = has appeared
- Present participle= is appearing
Always have -ing ending. have the feel of action, but serve only as the subject or object.
- Swimming is a healthy, low-impact exercise.
- (Gerund as subject)
- She really enjoys swimming and weightlifiting. (Verb) (Gerunds as direct objects.)
have an -ing or -ed ending. always adjectivies. generally modify a noun or pronoun.
- hoisting her protest sign high above her head, the demonstrater marched.
- (participle) (subject) (verb)
hoisted describes the condition of the subject, she, a pronoun.
Formed by "to" plus, in most cases, the present tense of a verb.
- The candidate needs to win (subject) (verb) (infinitive.