The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who wrote Rhetoric and when?
What are the Appeals/Modes of Persuasion?
What do Ethos, Pathos, and Logos each entail?
- Ethos: Ethics, credibility "Good man speaking well"
- Logos: Logic
- Pathos: Emotional appeal
Who created the Five Canons of Rhetoric?
Cicero & Aristotle
What are the Five Canons of Rhetoric?
Who is Quintilian and what did he do?
- Admirer of Cicero
- Studied rhetoric in Rome
- Taught in Rome in first century
- Opened a public school of rhetoric
- Wrote Institutio Oratoria
What is the "Institutio Oratoria"?
- Written by Quintilian
- 12-vol. text book on foundational education and development of the orator
What are the benefits of studying public speaking?
- Personal (confidence)
- Professional (jobs)
- Public (engaged citizen)
What is the definition of Communication?
Communication is the process of sharing meaning by sending and receiving symbolic cues
What are symbolic cues?
- Nonverbal symbols we use to communicate
- Dont have meaning until we put meaning to it in our heads
- Meanings lie in people, not the sign
What was the early attempt of communication model?
Linear Communication Model
What is the Linear Communication Model?
- Shannon and Weaver - 1949
- One-way process
- Noise : Internal and External
Explain how the Linear Communication Model work?
all this runs through the channel
What are the 5 levels of communication?
- Intrapersonal (Basic- talking to yourself)
- Interpersonal (2 people)
- Small Group (3-?)
- Public (Person face to face with audience)
- Mass (Channel used to communicate)