Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Force that holds two atoms together
How easy an atom loses it's electron
How much attraction the atom has for it's electron
Chemical reactivity is directly related to ________
Why do elements react with each other?
So they can acquire a stable 8 electron structure in their outermost layer
Which group of elements don't react much? Why?
- Noble Gases
- Because they are already chemically stable because they have a full outermost shell
A positively charged ion
A negatively charge ion
What suffix is added to an anion when writing the formula?
Force that holds oppositely charged particles together in an ionic compound
Compounds that contain ionic bonds
Most ionic bonds are _______
- Meaning they contain only two different elements
What are binary ionic compounds made of?
A metallic cation and a nonmetallic anion
- Structure of alternating cations and anions
- Large numbers of ions together in ratio according to how many electrons needed to be transfered
- Vary in shape according to the size and relative numbers of the ions bonded
- 3-D geometric arrangement of particles
- Each anion is surrounded by cations and visa versa
Name 7 properties of ionic compounds
- High melting and boiling point
- Bad conductors of electricity in solid state
- Conductors of electricity in aqueous state
When energy is absorbed during a chemical reaction
- When energy is released during a chemical reaction
- Formation of ionic compounds from positive and negative ions
Which has more energy: individual ions or oppositely charged ions that are bonded?
Individual ions have more energy because ions that are bonded are more stable
How much energy is needed to break an ionic compound?
If the amount of energy released during bond formation is added to the ionic compound, the bond breaks
The energy required to separate one mole of the ions of an ionic compound
What are two factors that lattice energy is related to?
- Size: smaller ions have higher lattice energy
- Charge of the ion: ionic bond formed by ions with a larger positive or negative charges have higher lattice energy
The simplest ratio of the ions represented in an ionic compound
A one-atom ion
Oxidation number (state)
Is the charge of a monatomic ion
Ions made up of more than one atom
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview