Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are Systematics
The study of evolutionary relationships
A hypotheseis about patterns of relationships among species
Taxonomy is the science of classifying living things
A tree of species that Darwain thought descended from a single ancestor ( Branches ) descent with modification.
- Use similar habitats
- Similar enviornmental relationships
Bacteria do what?
Extract nitrogen from air and recylce carbon and sulfur , perform most of the worlds photosynthesis
- Cell walls lack peptidoglycan
- Membrane lipids are branched
- Distinct rRNA sequences
What are the 3 types of Archea
- Methnogens Use H2 to reduce CO-2 to CH-4
- Extremophiles Types
- Halophiles-High salt
- acidophiles- Low ph
- Pressure tolerant
Mitochondria and cholroplasts?
- Mito- derived from purple non-sulfur bacteria
- chloroplasts from cyanobacteria
Probably got in though endosymbiosis
Key Eukaryotic Charecteristics
- Cmpartmentalization- Allows for increased subcellular specialization
- Multicellularity - Allow for differntiation of cells into tissue
- sexual repro- meiosis
- Most are single celled- some can form complex biofilms
- have circular double stranded dna 0 found in nucleiod
- Have flagella spin like propellers
Divide by binary fission
Cell divison in PRks is thru
In PRKs genetic recombination is thru
Horizontal gene transfer
difference in plasma membranes in BacT and Arch's
In Bact = Fatty acids ester linked to glycerol= Unbranched
In Arche-- Ether linked to glycerol -- can be branched
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview