The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the three regions in Africa?
How is the climate in the savannas?
- Trees, Bushes, And Grass
- Plants and animals survive wellSoils not fertile but methods to make them fertile were used
How is the climate in the desert?
- Very little rainfallSahara desert in Northern Africa is the largest desert
How is the climate in the forest?
- Much rainTropical Rain Forest
What two rivers join together to create the Nile River
Which way does the Nile flow and where does it end?
- It Flows North
- Ends at the Mediterranean Sea
How was it possible to farm in the desert.
The Nile's flood waters carried silt to the water banks.
What is PLATEA?
- Area of flat land.Rivers flow platea to coast
What is SILT?
Silt is a mixture of soft soils.
What is the disadvantage of the Nile?
Dangerous cataracts caused problems to traders.
What did they do with wild cattle, sheep, and goats?
They domesticated them to help with farming.
What is Ivory?
Ivory is a white substance made in elephant tusks.
Where is Lower Nubia?
Which Nubia is close to sea level?
Which Nubia has rocky cliffs and hills?
- Lower Nubia
- Upper Nubia
How did people survive the harsh desert climate?
The Nile provided water and good/rich soil.
What was Nubia rich in?
- Nubia was rich in minerals like...Iron
The earliest Nubian kingdom was...
The Most powerful Nubian kingdom was...
Where does most of what we know about Nubians come from?
Where did they keep dead people?
In pyramids simalar to the Egyptians.
How did Nubians get food?
- 1.Farming2.Hunting and Gathering
- 3.Raising Cattle
How did they use their land for wealth?
Their land had valuble reasorces that they could trade.
Who did Nubia trade with
- Egypt to the North
- African Savannas
What routes did they use for trading
Why is Nubia's location important for trading
- It is right in the middle and is a linking route for traders.
- Egyptians wanted luxury goods from the south
When does Egypt invade Lower Nubia and Why?
- Middle Kingdom- Wealth & Land
What was Nubia culture like before & after Egypt's invasion
- Before- Skilled farmers, craft workers, & traders
- After-Adopted Egyptian culture
How did Kush rise to power.
- Egypt began to weaken
- Kush grew in power
- Kush became independent kingdom ruled by powerful kings from Napata
- Upper Nubia
- Built strong army to defend against Egypt middle kingdom
- Finally got conquered
Location of Napata
- Along upper nile where trade caravans crossed
- That is how Kush grew wealthy
Who conquered Egpyt?
Kashta and son, Piye and ruled Egypt & Kush from Napata
Fall of Kush
- Assyrians from Mesopatamia empire invaded
- Iron weapons
- Drove Kushites back to South
What did Kush learn from Assyrians?
- How to use iron instead of copper and stone - stonger
- Iron weapons increased military power
- Better tools to grow grain and other crops
Why did Kush rulers leave Napata and where did they go?
- To go farther south, away from Assyrians
- New capital = Meroe
Significance of Meroe
- Access to Nile for trade and transpo
- Access to Red Sea
- Land contained rich deposits or iron ore
Buried in chambers under pyramids
Kush trading goods
- Iron goods
- Leopard Skins
What are textiles?
Cloth fabrics that are woven or knitted?
Who conquered Meroe?
Axum, burned it down
Who did Kush trade with?
Far away nations such as Arabia, India, China