6. Why are ABGs so essential in respiratory failure? What information does it give?
How is acute vs. chronic defined?
- ABG is the most important test to subclassify respiratory failure, e.g. acute vs chronic or lung vs pump
- Provides an indication of the duration and severity of respiratory failure
- Gives 3 types of information:
- - Presence and degree of hypoxemia (PaO2)
- - Presence and degree of hypercapnia (PaCo2)
- - Arterial blood pH
Acute/Chronic determined based on PaCo2 vs pH (acute = high PCO2/low pH; chronic = high PCO2/normal pH)