The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is areolar tissue?
Tissue that is loosely organized fibers, abundant blood vessels, and a lot of seemingly empty space. Appearance can be quite variable
What is reticular tissue?
- -mesh of reticular fibers and fibroblast
- -forms supportive stroma (framework) for lymphatic organs
What is dense reqular connective tissue?
- collagen fibers (densely packed, parallel)
- -compressed fibroblast nuclie
- tendons attach muscles to bones and ligaments hold bones together
What is dense irregular connective tissue?
Collagen fibers (densely packed, randomly arranged) and few visable cells; withstands stress
What is apidose tissue?
- Empty looking cells with thin margins; nucleus pressed against cell membrane
- -energy storage, insulation, cushioning
What is cartilidge?
Supportive connective tissue with flexible, rubbery matrix; no blood vessels
What is hyaline cartilage?
- fine collagen fibers (matrix makes clear, glassy microscopic appearance)
- -eases joint movement, holds airway open, moves vocal cords
What is elastic cartilage
- cartilage containing large bundles of collagen fibers (without perichondruim)
- -resist compression and absorbs shock
What is bone?
- -organ of the body; multiple tissue types (femur, mandible)
- -bone tissues (osseous tissue)
What are two types of osseous tissue?
- Spongy bone-spongy in appearance
- -covered by compact bone
- Compact bone-denser calcified tissue with no visable spaces
What are osteocytes?
mature bone cells that occupy lucunae
Where is bone matrix deposited?
What is canaliculi?
delicate canals that radiate from each lacuna; osteocytes communication
What is periosteum?
tough fibrous connective tissue covering of bone
What is blood? (connective aspect)
- -fluid connective tissue
- -transports cells and dissolved matter
- -plasma is blood's liquid ground substance
What elements do blood form?
- -transports O2 and CO2Leukocytes-WBC
- -defense against infection
- Platelets-cell fragments