Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
molecular structures that the immune sys can recognize and respond to
Ag is a substance capable of....
- Inducing a SPECIFIC immune response
- Interacting with the products of that response
Antigens the induce a response are recognized by (2):
Antigens can interact with (4):
- TCR (T-Cell Receptor on T-Lymphs)
The ability of an antigen to bind with immune components
The ability of an antigen to induce an immune response
Properties of good immunogens (4):
- Small (<1kDa)
- Moderate Stability
Ex. of poor immunogens, based on complexity (
- Nucleic Acids
- Polymers (plastics, Bacillus anthracis, carbs)
Part of the antigen that is recognized by the antibody, TCR or BCR
Types of epitopes (2):
- Conformational (recognition based on folding)
- Linear (Recognized based on AA sequence)
An acquired immune response to the epitope of a similar bacteria or virus
Two bacteria that can give false pos. due to cross reactivity?
- Brucella abortus (bad)
- Yersinia enterocolitica (insignificant)
Small, antigenic molcules that can only induce an immune response if they are bound to a carrier protein
Most microbial immunogenic molecules are...
- (some carbs and lipids)
Where a microbes replicates, outside/inside of the cell
Intracellular pathogens include...
- most viruses and some bacteria
- (Can still survive outside of cell)
Extracellular pathogens include...
Most bacteria and parasites
Intracellular Bacteria (4):
- Rhodococcus equi
- Listeria Monocytogenes
- Brucella abortus
- Where the antigen is made
- (vs extra/intracellular pathogens)
Ex. of an endogenous antigen:
Ex. of a bacteria which has a capsule that protects it from immune response
Two defining features of Mycobacterium, Rhodococcus equi, Listeria Monocytogenes and Brucella abortus
- Intracellular Pathogens
- Endogenous Antigens
Viruses use the host's ___ to make ___
It's difficult to create an HIV Vx b/c...
the envelope can vary it's antigenicty
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview