World Religions Jainism
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- of the Svetambaras
- and respect for all life
- pluralism (no one has all truth, so tolerate all viewpoints)
- “Sky-clad” and refers to those Jain monks who wander naked
- who has attained enlightenment.
- –the spirit contained within all living things, be
- they human, animal, or plant
–the gaining of infinite knowledge
- –the substance that contaminates a person’s soul
- as the consequence of evil deeds,
- –causing the soul to sink in the universe and on
- the scale of existence
- –the endless series of births, deaths, and
- rebirths to which all beings are subject.
–Soul still on samsara
–liberated soul dwelling in Siddha Sila
- tradition, no priests, sacrfices, castes, vedas, etc.
–male lay person
–female lay person
- of svetambara, non-image worshiping sect, mouth covered
- “white-clad” and refers to those Jain monks who wear a white robe or loin cloth
- of svetambara, non-image worshiping, one leader for the whole community
- “Ford-finder” Mahavira is considered the 24th and last
- “ford-finder”. He, like the previous
- ones, found the way to gain release from the wheel and has shown this way to
- the others
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview