The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What does an ASTRONOMER do?
They are scientists who study objects in space.
What does a SPACE PROBE do?
- It's a machine that travels ALONE through space to study the objects
- *it is in space to study the object there
What is a machine that studies objects in space called?
Does the MOON have CRATERS, MOUNTAINS, VALLEYS AND PLAINS on it?
What is a SPACE SUIT?
A suit worn to PROTECT ASTRONAUTS as they walk in space.
Describe a CRATER.
A BOWL shaped pit that is on the moon.
What can form craters on the moon?
- *they are pieces of rock or metal that fall from space and land on the surface of the moon or Earth.
What device makes far away objects look bigger?
What is the Earth's ATMOSPHERE like? What does it do for the Earth?
- It's a layer of gases that surround the earth.
- *it protects from the sun's harmful rays
- *clouds and weather
- *the ability to hear sound
What is a STAR?
A BALL OF HOT GASES THAT GIVES OFF ENERGY.
Describe the SUN.
- *it looks much bigger than other stars because it is the closest to Earth
- *the sun is MUCH BIGGER than the earth
- *all living things depend on the sun for food, heat, energy and light
True or False.
Can a SOLAR STORM disturb the running of electrical equipment?
What is a SUNSPOT?
A DARK SPOT ON THE SURFACE OF THE SUN
WHAT IS PROMINENCE?
A huge loop of gas that appears on the edge of the sun.
What is a FLARE?
A BRIGHT AREA ON THE SURFACE OF THE SUN.
WHAT IS THE PULL THAT EVERY OBJECT HAS ON EVERY OTHER OBJECT CALLED?
WHAT IS MASS?
THE AMOUNT OF MATERIAL THAT MAKES UP AN OBJECT.
GRAVITY is STRONGER on the Earth than the Moon because ___________________.
EArth has MORE MASS than the moon.
Do you weigh MORE OR LESS on the Moon?
much LESS on the MOON, only 1/2 of what you weigh on earth.
The SUN IS THE CLOSEST _______ to EArth.
THE amount of material that makes up an object is its _________.
Make a list of things that are easier to do on EArth than the Moon.
- *swim in a lake
- *catch a butterfly
- *fly a kite
Make a list of things that are easier to do on the Moon than Earth.
- *hit a home run
- *observe the stars
- *move a pile of bricks
The BIGGER THE METEORITE THE BIGGER THE ________________.