Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Speaker of the house:
- -assigns commitees
- -preside and keeps order
House of Representatives
- -choose the Speaker and other officers
- -power of impeachment
675 years old; first document that led to any types of freedom; limited kings power even further.
thought people needed to be told what to do
thought people were good and make good decisions
first written government in American history, pilgrims put it together.
Fremch/Indian war-fought in the colonies/United States; french and indians fought the British and the Americans
2 things that happened during the French/Indian war:
- 1. Britain took control of most of N. America
- 2. Britain goes into deep debt.
- -king of England turns to America to get money.
first continental congress
a group of representatives from each state to figure out how to make peace with the king; wrote petition-olive branch petition.
second continental congress; 5 things:
- 1. 5 people write D of I
- 2. approved D of I
- 3. Created army and navy
- 4. printed money
- 5. first governement
5 people that wrote the D of I
Robert Livingston, Roger Sherman, Ben Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Independence
written in July of 1776; letter from 2nd continental congress to King George III.
Treaty of Paris
1783; ****gave us our freedom
added to the price of an item
price is included
April 1775; ends-oct. 1781
Articles of Confederation
new governement; governed for 6-10 years*
since 1787, 224 years; one central government makes rules/decisions.
6-10 years; states and local government makes rules/decisons
land ordinance of 1785
took land we got from england and sold it
northwest ordinance of 1787
- 1. 3/5 states out of land from England
- -ohio, indiana, illinois, michigan, wisconsin
- 2. no slavery north of the ohio river
- 3. how new states entered the union
- may-sept. 17, 1787
- -Philedelphia, Independence Hall
helped colonies unite for trade and business
things agreed upon at the convention
- franklin had to be there
- washington in charge
- articles not good enough
- seperation of power
- keep on D.L.
People at the convention
washington,hamilton, madison, franklin, morris
people NOT at the convention
jefferson, J. adams, S. adams, hancock, patrick henry
the spirit of laws
- -Baron de Montesquieu
- -people with power ten to abuse power
- -need a gov. that tells people what to do
- Jean Jacques Rousseau
- -govt. has certain responsibilities to the people and the people have a certain responsibility to the govt.
wealth of nations
- -adam smith
- -father of capitalism
- -govt. should have 3 roles:
- 1. protect citizens from invasion
- 2. protect people from eachother
- 3. educate the citizens
two treaties of government
- john locke
- -people had the right to govern themselves and when govt. becomes overpowering we have the right to overthrow it.
- legislature should be picked according to population
- -bigger states should have more representatives
- -"big state plan"
new jersey plan
- "small state plan"
- -wanted it to be equal all the way across legislature branch
called for Bi-Cameral legislation
House of Rep.
- picked according to population
- -435 (1 for every 575,000)
- picked equally
- -every state has 2
north of harshman road- rep. john boehner
south of harshman road-rep. mike turner
greene and clarke county-rep. steve austria
- way districts are drawn
- -party in charge draws them for political advantage for them
legislative- make the laws
executive- enforce the laws
judicial-what does the law say
relations among states
amending the constitutions
what is the only way the constitution can be changed?
can supreme court justices be impeached?
no, unless they are charged with conviction