The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Symbolic convergence theory
Concerned with group’s response
Fantasy chain reaction
- increased energy within group, upbeat tempo in conversation, and common response
- to imagery
What does symbolic convergence do?
Symbolic convergence allows individuals to build a sense of community or closeness, cohesiveness, unity, and solidarity.
How do we evaluate social scientific theories?
the simplest explanation is the best
-must be able to be tested and disproved if wrong
-there is nothing so practical as a good theory
should generate new ideas for research
How do we evaluate interpretive theories?
- - Understanding: fresh insight into the human condition
- -Values: brings researcher’s and participants values into the open
- -Aesthetics: should capture the imagination
- -Community agreement: other scholars support is a sign of strength
- -Reform: should help create change
- -Heurism: should lead to new research ideas
Interpretive approaches may be...
Interpretive approaches may be a starting point for more scientific approaches to research.
Interpretive approaches may be rigorous in similar ways to social scientific approaches, or they may completely reject those conventions.
Many standards are similar across approaches.
-cause and effect
-Asch conformity studies
-everyday lived experience
-Understanding lived experience
-language shapes our reality