The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- –Means “first book” and is the primary Sikh
–AKA Guru Granth Sahib
- –A Sikh who has received amrit
–the location of the golden temple
- –a spring festival in which Guru Gobind
- Singh made the order of the Khalsa
- companion of Nanak who never became a Sikh.
- book) compiled by the Tenth Guru (Gobind Singh) and is secondary scripture to the Adi Granth.
- leader. There is only one Guru – God, the inner voice; but earthly gurus make
- the divine present in the community.
–a Sikh temple.
–name a woman takes when she enters the Khalsa.
–the sikh order; “the pure ones”
- –the Muslim minstrel who was Nanak’s companion
- during his preaching tours and who never became a Sikh
- –Sword worn by Guru Hargobind which signifies
- secular power.
- –release from the rounds of rebirth; same as
- Sanskrit moksha
–the founder of Sikhism and the first Guru
- –a Hindu tradition focusing on the interior search
- for God
- –One of the swords worn by Guru Hargobind
- which represents spiritual power
–Town founded by the 3rd Guru
–Known as Amritser today
- –Guru who Laid the foundation for the Golden
- –The eternal cycle of birth, suffering, death, and
–the company of illuminated and enlightened souls
- –a Hindu tradition believing in devotion to God,
- who is formless
- follower of Nanak and a word meaning “disciple”
- name that a male member of the Khalsa takes meaning “Lion.”
- cannot be captured in a name, and therefore he is simply called “True Name.”
•Satnam – the true name
–Born in Talwandi, present day Pakistan
–Sat and meditated