The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
1. to free from guilt or blame or their consequences: The court absolved her of guilt in his death.
2. to set free or release, as from some duty, obligation, or responsibility (usually fol. by from ): to be absolved from one's oath.
–noun 1. a person who is opposed to, struggles against, or competes with another; opponent; adversary.
2. the adversary of the hero or protagonist of a drama or other literary work: Iago is the antagonist of Othello.
- 1. utterly unyielding in attitude or opinion in spite of all appeals, urgings, etc.
2. too hard to cut, break, or pierce.
- 1. deviating from the recognized or customary character, practice, etc.; irregular; erratic; peculiar; odd: eccentric conduct; an eccentric person.
2. Geometry . not having the same center; not concentric: used esp. of two circles or spheres at least one of which contains the centers of both.
- 1. having or showing pleasant, good-natured personal qualities; affable: an amiable disposition.
: an amiable greeting; an amiable gathering.
; willing to accept the wishes, decisions, or suggestions of another or others.
- verb (used with object)
- 1. to come upon or meet with, esp. unexpectedly: to encounter a new situation.
2. to meet with or contend against (difficulties, opposition, etc.): We encounter so many problems in our work.
- 1. not involving questions of right or wrong; without moral quality; neither moral nor immoral.
2. having no moral standards
, restraints, or principles; unaware of or indifferent to questions of right or wrong: a completely amoral person.
- 1. a person or thing that is typical of or possesses to a high degree the features of a whole class: He is the epitome of goodness.
2. a condensed account, esp. of a literary work; abstract.
- –noun, plural -ties.
- a feeling of strong dislike, ill will, or enmity that tends to display itself in action: a deep-seated animosity between two sisters; animosity against one's neighbor.
1. to speak harmful untruths about; speak evil of; slander; defame: to malign an honorable man.